2015 S1000RR vs S1000R Comparisons

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
S1000R%20loan%20bike_zps74hgjn7s.jpg
So BMW have loaned me a 2015 S1000R Sport while my 2015 RR is awaiting parts (it's taking forever - 5 weeks so far with no sign of delivery??!) ....anyway, thought i'd share my initial thoughts on the R for any other RR owners wondering if you've made the right choice?!

1. Mirrors/Handlebars - noticeably more vibration here than the RR. Probably due to the mirrors being attached to the handlebars instead of fairing? They're clear below 4k revs.....blurred everywhere above. There's also more vibes through the bars generally than the RR, with more vibration higher up the rev range where the RR becomes less of a problem, so be prepared for a serious case of white finger on long motorway journeys!

2. Exhaust - sounds really nice but not a patch on the RR! Missing the pops and bangs and sounds generally a bit more civilised :(

3. Torque - The bike hasn't reached its 1st service yet, so still limited to 9k. The dealer told me to expect more torque from the R compared to the RR in the lower revs, but i'm not feeling it tbh?? It feels strong (in Road & Dynamic Mode) but definitely no stronger than the RR and where the RR starts to hint at impending insanity, the R just plods on smoothly. I can't imagine it's anything remotely like the RR above 9k once the limiter is off (redlines at 12k?), so i think we can presume the RR wins there!

4. Wind Protection - As to be expected with a naked bike, the R definitely falls down here compared to the RR. Anything above 80mph on a windy day and it feels like it wants to throw you off the back. Motorway at speed is no fun! Having said that, I'm used to sports bikes so this may not bother other people as much. I guess the upright position is comfortable around town, but i much prefer to be tucked in behind a fairing once on the open road.

5. Handling/Suspension - Feels great, as does the RR of course. I'd say the RR requires a bit more commitment (core strength/body position etc) in the twisties, but to me that's half the fun. I actually embrace the fact that riding a sportbike can be challenging. The R just feels so easy to throw in to bends that it becomes somehow less rewarding?? That aside, it corners beautifully on the road, and the DDC keeps it 100% planted when leaned over :)

6. Quickshifter - works fine but feels slightly slower to engage at times than the RR causing a bit of a surge forward, but then smooth and fast at other times...hmmmm might be my inputs? Also, the R misses the wonderful auto-blipper.....in my opinion one of the best features on the RR :)

7. Looks - personally i'm just not particularly a fan of naked bikes.....the R seems to get just as much attention as the RR on the road tho...maybe it will grow on me but it sort of looks incomplete? The RR on the other hand looks purposeful/aggressive/complete.....i'm slightly biased obviously :)

So, having only had the R a few days i'm sure i'll have some more thoughts soon ....maybe in time it'll even grow on me a little bit? (looks like i may be riding it for a while yet?? ... BMW are being ridiculously slow fixing my RR!)

Anyway, the R is without doubt a brilliant bike, but......i'm glad i spent the extra ?5k on the RR..... in my opinion worth every extra penny....it really is a different beast all together! :)

Hey Cavey, you have pretty much summed up the pros and cons of that bike very nicely. it is essentially a cheaper, shorter geared, detuned, less effective rr with less plastics. IMO it looks cheap. Great if you only do short trips about but anything more meaningful and it is going to hurt.

At least you've got something to hoon about on whilst what we call summer is still here!

what parts you waiting of for 5 weeks?

Replacement ignition switch and lock...the original one failed leaving the ignition permanently on...bike would even run without the key! The replacement lock has to be coded at the factory to match my chassis number.....but the actual delay is apparently being caused due to BMW awaiting stock from their supplier??
TBH i'm pretty disgusted with the way BMW has dealt with this issue. They keep giving me delivery dates which then lapse due to stock not arriving. How on earth they can give me a delivery date when they haven't even got stock of the part is beyond me??! I've given the dealer another 10 days to fix my bike at which point i will be demanding a new replacement bike or full refund.
I'd only owned the bike 4 weeks when the ignition failed and they've now had it in the workshop for 6 weeks! :sulkiness:Unreasonable and unacceptable.

yes disgusting service , my first s1000rr 2015 was one with the dodgy cam lobes the engine fkd within 2k miles at first they said we will strip your motor out and split it and fix it, I said no chance get me a new bike and to be fair to my dealer I was on a brand new bike 7 days later , no way I would be waiting that long,

Jimmy, would you mind me asking which dealer you used? My dealer isn't great (understatement!)

I think you are being a bit unfair to the s1000r tbh, its not ment to be an s1000rr. Try one that's past its 600 mile service (remember how dull you own s1000rr was before the first service), they are a proper riot if you are even half good at wheelies.. i had a shot of one at an open day and didn't want to bring it back. ok the wind blast isn't good but then you can order a fly screen if your that fussed. Oh and its 5k less! Top bike

I think you are being a bit unfair to the s1000r tbh, its not ment to be an s1000rr. Try one that's past its 600 mile service (remember how dull you own s1000rr was before the first service), they are a proper riot if you are even half good at wheelies.. i had a shot of one at an open day and didn't want to bring it back. ok the wind blast isn't good but then you can order a fly screen if your that fussed. Oh and its 5k less! Top bike

Hey Jordan, thanks for your thoughts....sounds like you had fun at the open day! :) As i mentioned i think the R is a brilliant bike, and maybe I sounded like i was being unfair, but when comparing it to the RR for me it just doesn't come as close as i thought it might??
I do think it will grow on me....i've only ridden it 200 miles and yes i agree it's gonna be lots more fun once the stupid limiter is off! Maybe i need to stop comparing it to the RR and just enjoy it?
Jordan, just out of interest which mode did you have the R in for wheelies? Or did you have the electronics switched off? I haven't explored this too much yet but the anti-wheelie feels very intrusive even in dynamic mode??
Cheers, will report back after first service! :congratulatory:

I came from a Naked bike (CB1000R) and overall I think naked's are a hoot. I changed as I needed to start doing longer trips to tracks around the country etc, and so I ended up with the RR.
Day-to-day it would make far more sense to have the R. As I commute a lot at slow speeds. I'd be happy with either, I don't think there's a right or wrong here.
I'm glad the RR feels like its 5k better to you...but it's still not going to be right for all. IMO BMW have got the range right right now. RR / R / XR. All will appeal for different reasons, you just decide which are best for you. Its a tried and tested model split (Honda have the CBR1RR / CB1R / CBF1) and it's just segment filling to appeal to a wider audience.

I came from a Naked bike (CB1000R) and overall I think naked's are a hoot. I changed as I needed to start doing longer trips to tracks around the country etc, and so I ended up with the RR.
Day-to-day it would make far more sense to have the R. As I commute a lot at slow speeds. I'd be happy with either, I don't think there's a right or wrong here.
I'm glad the RR feels like its 5k better to you...but it's still not going to be right for all. IMO BMW have got the range right right now. RR / R / XR. All will appeal for different reasons, you just decide which are best for you. Its a tried and tested model split (Honda have the CBR1RR / CB1R / CBF1) and it's just segment filling to appeal to a wider audience.

Totally agree Alex....all 3 bikes are getting amazing reviews.....i guess its just a case of choose your weapon and enjoy! :unconscious:

Yeah maybe it unfair to compare it next to an RR and i was only out for a quick blast on it. im sure it was dynamic but had the TC off whenever i wanted to do a wheelie.. the bike was unrestricted tho and did go really well esp for a naked bike.. my bike goes it for its second service next month i know what bike i want as a demo haha.

Yeah maybe it unfair to compare it next to an RR and i was only out for a quick blast on it. im sure it was dynamic but had the TC off whenever i wanted to do a wheelie.. the bike was unrestricted tho and did go really well esp for a naked bike.. my bike goes it for its second service next month i know what bike i want as a demo haha.

haha interested to hear your thoughts after another blast Jordan! ...this one's nearly ready for its 1st service...looking forward to getting that damn limiter off! :)

I'll second that, having traded my 2010 RR for a R last September.

Back