2015 Bike - Questions about Rattling Noises

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
Took the bike out last night for the first time since December and had forgotten just how much of a buzz it is to ride these things. Anyway, a few additions made their way onto the bike during winter, some carbon parts, Gilles levers and HP Akrapovic slip-on, chain adjusters etc.

Thought I'd run the bike first before I got my gear on just to check all was ok and the slip-on wasn't blowing out of any of the joints. When I killed the ignition via the key I noticed some rattling/clicking noises coming from the left side of the engine area. Now I'm not sure if this is normal as I've always got my helmet on when the ignition is turned off and not heard it before. Is this a normal feature?

Also, when I got home and was wheeling the bike back and forth in the garage I could hear a different rattling noise in the petrol tank like something was rolling around, again is this normal?

Ticking noise from the left side of the bike is normal after switching the ignition off, no noises from the petrol tank apart from sloshing fuel, ride it a bit more and see if it goes away.

Yes mine rattles about too in the petrol tank. Think it's the primer pump? as I asked the same question when I got mine.
Mine sounds like a bag of spanners, hope this helps lol

Last edited:
Cheers lads, I'll have another listen tonight when I get home. It's going for service tomorrow so will ask them to check.

The noise in the petrol tank only happens if I move the bike then stop it suddenly with the brake, I get the rattling noise followed by a low pitch squealing. Any other movement I just hear the fuel sloshing around.

Yep they all rattle a goodun i'm afraid. Like Loupe says....."A bag of spanners". Most noticeable between 3 & 4000 rpm and when its upto temp. There is a few more moving pieces of metal in the BM engine compared to a Jap bike.

Engine Noise

The engine noise is normal but it can be a bit unsettling at first; particularly if your used to riding Japanese bikes.

Yeh the bike is data tagged. I checked the noises again last night and the weird thing was they sounded more prominent when the bike was used for the first time since December, now the noises don't sound as bad, almost normal so I'm suspecting that it's all just fuel system related. The bike's in for service now so they'll cast an eye over it and then probably tell me here's nowt wrong with it and just use it more.

I had a mystery ignition problem after mine had been laid up where it suddenly decided to go dead intermittently at start up for no apparent reason, dealer fiddled around with it and couldn't find anything - I've done a few hundred miles since and it hasn't happened again...

Latest posts

Back