2011 Primes, Runs 30s, Dies, No errors

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airman

Reaction score
Hi all, bit dubious for not posting until I'm stuck... but I'm stuck.
History: 2011 Low mileage.
On the road, out of the blue after ~ 61/2 years bike died at 'nice steady pace', Failed to re start (I believe I never turned the Ign fully off)
15 Mins and a long free wheel .. started up and ran fine home >40 Miles. (Did turn it fully off)
Ran fine the following day.
Now, same thing but fails to stay running: Ign ON, Self Check, Primes, Starts.
Runs until prime volume is used up, then dies (I believe)
Will not start again unless I turn it off, On again and go through the priming sequence.

Changed fuel, Removed tank - No kinks, loose connections.
Unplug tank, there is fuel at the check valve
No mods (Akro > 3 years ago, not specifically tuned after)
No work done up to issue.
Battery 13.x volts off & 14.x volts running.
No errors or lights.
When it fires up its 100% until it chugs and dies (I'm convinced its running out of fuel) but not enough knowledge to figure the sequence.. i.e. if the pump primes, its OK, but what keeps the flow going while its running or in my case .. not
Bringing up the revs only kills it quicker .. me thinking I'm using up the primed fuel in the line quicker.

I dont have a GS911 and I've no way to get it to my nearest dealer and TBH I can afford the 'change part & try it' method
Any direction greatly appreciated... apart from 'Buy a GS911' .... its on the list.

It reads like the pump is knackered - priming it one thing, maintaining flow rate and pressure quite another. I would swap it of a known good one and test. BMW or an independent may help with that.
Do they have an FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) that could be a culprit too...

Last edited:
Pffttt
My ECU... issue present.
Dealer ECU... Issue gone
New ECU required, So I'm told which is fine and the dealer has been fair but I could do without the bill at the min :blue:

Also I'm a bit P***ed as my brain is asking if this is going to happen again.
I had a look at the ECU with a microscope and HD screen and there is absolutely no visible damage whatsoever.
No water, bad tracks, heat or bulging signs, no dry joints, no bad pins. (Obviously something is bust)
Anyone know if these just get tired. The key fob is intermittent and the Dash LCD is visibly slower to revert to the normal running display after the Ign. pre-check and ....the mode button has stopped. I am almost certain these are all part of the same issue.
On top of that, as the dealer has the bike, I'm not sure if I can waltz in there with some Ebay ECU that I won't even know works and ask them to flash it and hope.

Pay the 1K and swallow it ... Anyone been here before ?

Well, ECU's do come up on eBay, sometimes they come with race unlocks and Calibration Kits too...all for less than a grand.
If you're willing to risk a eBay jobber then it should be no issue to have one, just make sure it's from the same generation.

Looks like about ~ 700 Euro for me all in 2nd hand assuming it'll still need some check and getting it out has now become a bloody nightmare as the cost of the 'free loan' trailer has risen to eternity .. inlaws... luv em :sour: .
Compared to 1000 ..prolly go with OEM and security of the part warranty (to a degree) . I'll forget about the headache when Its back.
Mental rant nearly over, trailer shopping while I wait.
Thanks for the help :redface-new:

I don't blame you. Least this way you have someone to shout at if the diagnosis proves to be wrong long term...

- Sent from Mobile

Latest posts

Back