190 v 200 rear tyres?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great feedback here so thanks to everyone, my bm is a 2010 still on standard rims.

I will contact the local bm dealer first to see whats involved getting the bike set for a 200 rear tyre, i am looking at getting another set of wheels and getting slicks fitted to them for use on track so will end up on the 200 rear then, so might as well get the bike set for 200 rear now and have same size road and track tyres.

After a bit of thought... my bike does not have a power commander fitted, i find throttle application sometimes quite jurky, pretty shit actually, the bike has a full arrow system fitted which wont be helping. So i might as well get the pcv fitted now and sacrifice these knackered rear tyres now on the dyno and then get the new tyres fitted after the dyno run.

thanks for all the feedback :)

I believe the tyre size issue is only relevant to gen3 2015-on bikes.
I have used all sizes of tyre on the earlier models with no issues.

So has anybody fitted a 200 to a 2015 bike with standard rims?

If so was there any notable difference and did you get BMW to remap the TC settings for the wider tyre and did it cost anything or take long to do?

Rear Tyre Size

I routinely use 190/60, 200/60 and 200/55 rear tyres without issue on both HP and BST wheels.

I switch between 190/55 and 200/55 profiles once a year and always get BMW to recalibrate the electronics.
It doesn't take long at all and they don't charge, the only pain in the arse is that you'll need configure all your settings again

That being said, on the road I've had no perceivable differences in TC performances prior to recalibrating

Re: Rear Tyre Size

Did you get the TC remapped?

Is there a difference in feel and tipping in or lean angle ease?

What's the 60 element like - any difference?

Tyre Profile

You will generally only find race tyres (slicks and wets) with a 60 rear profile. You'll only notice the difference on track, and its associated benefits, once the bike is setup correctly to take into account the increased tyre height.

What settings?

(Sorry I don't think I have any advanced settings!)

Re 190 vs 200/55 profile tyres, theoretically if the tyre height (i.e. 55) is identical then the wider tyre will be slower steering and offer a slightly larger contact patch at lean.
A 60 profile tyre will be quicker steering than a 55 profile of equal width.
As RyS1000RR states though, it's likely only to make a difference on track, I personally see no difference between 190 and 200 as a road rider.

Re setting, I'm referring to things like User mode setting if on a 15 > model bike, gear shift light setting, all dash and DDC settings. Essentially what would happen if you disconnect the battery

Oli

Tyre Size

I wouldn't bother drawing any conclusions between the tyre diameter differences between a 200/55 and 190/55. There is just too much variation between tyre manufacturers when it comes to rolling circumferences etc. For example a Metzeler 200/55 will physically differ in size to a Bridgestone 200/55 and so on, let alone that of a 190/55. The point is the measurements for a 200/55 tyre from one brand may be similar to a 190/55 of another, but completely different to a 200/55 from another.

Calibration is done by simply plugging the bike into the BMW system via the bike's diagnostic port. The DTC parameters etc are then recoded so the ECU knows what size tyre is fitted. It doesn't take long at all if you choose to have it done but whatever settings you have inputted in the SET UP and RACE SET UP menus are cleared. You can only calibrate when changing between 190/55 and 200/55 rear tyre sizes and vice versa at a BMW dealership. I predominantly use Metzeler 200/60 slicks and 190/60 wets. The only way for me to calibrate the system for use with the above tyre sizes would be to use an RCK3 and I would also need to use the Metzeler tyre datasheet to input the exact measurements in mm.

To be honest it is only really a concern if you are racing at a high enough level that you need to program exact tyre measurements into the ECU as an unwanted DTC intervention may cost you valuable tenths/hundredths of a second each lap. For that very reason the RCK3 allows you to configure the DTC and other parameters to this level of detail. For trackday and club level racing it isn't really required as you are unlikely to be pushing hard enough to feel any significant or unwanted intervention when changing between rear tyre sizes. That and you can just turn the DTC intervention down. As for road use you are unlikely to notice any difference at all but given that BMW will recalibrate the system for you for free it's worth doing as you will know the bike is programmed correctly.

There is, potentially, one additional incentive to reprogram the bike for 190 or 200/55 profile tyre, and that is insurance ... I'd imagine that's the sort of thing a loss adjuster would love to pick up on in the event of a substantial insurance claim

So has anybody fitted a 200 to a 2015 bike with standard rims?

If so was there any notable difference and did you get BMW to remap the TC settings for the wider tyre and did it cost anything or take long to do?

BMW recommend re-calibrating the ecu.Initially,dealers were told not to fit 200 section tyres to bikes supplied from the factory with cast wheels.Following complaints,a ecu re-calibration was developed mid 2015.

If the gen3 bike came with standard wheels(i.e calibrated for 190 tyres)then changing to a 200 can impede forward motion.However,if the ecu is calibrated for 200 tyres and a 190 is fitted then the effect will not be noticed.Please note,the effect is not likely to be felt on the road.

For track use,it would appear that calibrating the ecu for 200 section tyres allows the use of any size tyre.

Note:this is only what I have found on track.

The simple answer is,if you fit a 200 and the ecu is calibrated for a 190,if you do not experience any issues-leave it alone!

I have run both. First was a 190 on the road which was changed to a 200 with the tc re calibrated.
i noticed a big difference in the turn in speed. It was much slower. This was running Bridgestone s20 evo tyres.
i then swapped the bridge stones for supercorsas and it was back to the original feel. It all depends on the make of tyre. For the road I cannot see the point of changing to a 200 profile as you have plenty enough traction on a 190. The reason for going to a 200 profile is so you have a larger contact patch on the ground which realistically you will only need on track.

Latest posts

Back