18,000 mile service @ bowker bmw preston

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iain-s1000rr

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1470556875832.jpg

Took my bike to bowker bmw preston yesterday for the big service. Had planned on taking it to Stephen but after mulling it over I really wanted to keep the full bmw service history intact and also with fuel costs and travel time it didn't really make sense. Anyway I booked in on Tuesday and they managed to get me in yesterday. They also booked me on the 2016 s1000rr sport for the day which I didn't ask for so I was pleased with that and yep it's miles apart from mine, such an easy bike to ride and super quick and smooth.

Anyway the service consisted of valve clearances and timing check, fork oil replacement, oil change, spark plugs, air filter, new brake fluid and a general health check of the bike and I was happy to hear all was good. They advised I needed a new chain which I have sat at home waiting to fit along with some renthal sprockets and my brake pads are under 2mm which again I have Sat at home. Originally they said it would cost ?550 in total but I managed to only pay ?309 by fitting my own air filter and replacing the brake fluid myself which seems mental that I got ?241 knocked off the bill for doing that myself oh and I also supplied my own spark plugs. Overall I'm more than impressed with bowker even though I've heard mixed reviews I cannot fault them. There was absolutely no pressure put on me to sit down with a salesman to discuss the new bike when I returned and they sent me the video of the service check which Is a nice touch.

Managed 300+ miles on the 2016 as we headed over to settle, hawes, devil's, sedburgh and few other places on the way, the only thing I had a niggle with was the traction control and anti wheelie must have been set on max as it was such an abrupt cut of power when kicking in. But I can imagine with the slick plug in and being able to set it up properly it's an amazing bit of kit.

Anyway new pads to fit today and chain and sprockets so best get my hands dirty and make a start. Have a good Sunday chaps and ride safe 😊

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi Ian,
Good to see you and have a quick chat at the bridge yest, Glad you liked the 3gen bike and got some good service out of Preston

Dean

Hi Dean, I was just about to post to ask who it was i was speaking to at Devils yesterday. Was good to put a face to name. Thoroughly enjoyed the new bike and when its time to trade in i know what i will be trading in for. Iain

Was quoted 750 quid yesterday for the 18k service. But they cant/wont do my forks so would be cheaper. Think i will go down your route and do some of the work myself

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Iain.. thats brilliant.. I thought the big service was around 700 quid..

Im booked in for my second 6 thou this week and thats 190 inc vat.. air..oil filters and a check over...

I have an oil filter and oil at home and as part of fixing my small leak on the rhs casing I asked Dalkeith if I could do my own O n F at the same time would they knock that off the bill ? I was told no on the grounds of warranty etc... think for my 18 thou Ill be calling either Stephen or Bowker... they arent that far away tbh...

Stuart

stuarts phone

POF - why cant/wont they do your forks? STU - Bowker have been brilliant, didnt have any qualms about me doing my own bits and still stamped the service book. They just put on the job sheet that customer is doing brake pads & oil change, but mine isnt under warranty so maybe why they were ok with it.. If i wasnt so paranoid about keeping the full BMWSH then i would of gone to Stephen for sure. More than happy with the service from bowker, they also let me know my wheel bearings need doing which they offered to do for ?109 and my headstock bearings were just starting to go and offered to do them for ?220. will have to mull that over and see how mucg the parts are and how big the job is before i go taking it back to BMW. Oh and they also do a full vallet for ~?25 which they did me for free as the bike was an hour longer than expected to be collected. I didnt care as it gave me an extra 1hr on the 2016

I have butubo forks
32de26bf883b7d54205b6af523283ef1.jpg

Last edited:
They are indeed. Was the only thing i couldnt get right on my 2014 was the front end so swapped out oems for these. Night and day better now

Iain think I will ask about... Ill PM Stephen for a start.. I know its next year but at least whilst servicing is in my head Ill ask about...

Cheers Iain....

stuarts phone

Back