2015 Chain Recall

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Duffster

Hi, got my fabulous new 2015 RR last week and BMW called me this week to recover it. Reason was a "chain" problem.

Anyone got any details?

It's a bit vague but I'll update the forum when I get a full report.

My dealer tells me there are only two affected in the UK. Mine and one that hasn't been delivered yet. Something to do with not passing QA on the chain. I was scheduled to ride it in for Run-In service today but BMW Germany advised to have the bike recovered and not to be ridden.

More to follow next week.

Looking at mine I'm not at all surprised. The quality looks shite I must say!

Update: So there was a QA concern on the chain rivets so swapped as precaution. All fixed today and bike is on its way back to me as I type. Despite the issue I have to say Motorrad Central Scotland (Dalkeith) have been their usual excellent standard for customer service. They've paid for my service as a gesture for the inconvenience. I'd recommend them highly if you're looking for a Beemer in Scotland.

hi duffster iv just bought one, is this something i should bring up with the dealer before i ride away with it

It appears to be only the two that slipped through the net and the dealers in question (mine being one of them) have been contacted directly. I suspect this is why it's not out there as a general issue and it's probably BMW airing on the side of caution. I wouldn't worry about it as they have been very Pro-Active in this case.

Just took mine out yesterday for the first day of fully derestricted fun. OMFGG what a beast...it's amazing. Get those run-in miles done ASAP. I've had a 2010 and 2012 RR and this new one wipes the floor in every department...enjoy :)

Cool, thats good to know about the chain, i dont know how long it takes for a dealer to get a bike ready, looking forward to it. Never had a 1000 anything. Glad you like it

Well use the 600 mile run-in to get to know it...then when they derestict it prepare to be dazzled. It reads your mind and the acceleration is incredible. You'll probably shred your rear in 1500 miles playing with it.
Enjoy, you won't be disappointed...

I think my chain needs recalling(!) despite cleaning and lubing the flamin' thing's corroding on the side plates already, ridiculous after 3 months and 1300 mainly dry miles. Anyone else getting this?

Mine is corroded as well, very poor show from BMW not providing a plated chain. I mentioned it to the dealer at Run in Service, they didnt want to know.

Mine is corroded as well, very poor show from BMW not providing a plated chain. I mentioned it to the dealer at Run in Service, they didnt want to know.

Yep, that's about right for BMW. Sold now, not my problem.

Latest posts

Back