Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Lithium Dead

Re: Second Lithium Dead

My thoughts would be Reg/Rec. My 1098 would shut down i.e no sign of life in electrics whilst doing any speed even on a trackday. Turned out the Reg/Rec was outputting 15+v and the clocks have a safety measure that they shut down when over voltage.

I now run one of these on all my bikes and it shows various colours for various voltages. I would have never diagnosed the 1098 problem without it. Saved my brain/time for years now. J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-MOTOR...Cclp%3A2334524
    Last edited by JamieMac; 15th March 2021 at 03:06 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamieMac For This Useful Post:

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

So where I'm at, ruled out the battery, yesterday disconnected reg/rec, battery stable tonight after 24 hrs.. by product of this yesterday registered 3.5 ma draw, noticed heated grips icon on dash was on ?.. and wouldn't switch off, eventually worked switch and got them off (I had to strip, clean and rebuild switch last year).. I'm not reading into this bit too much and just dealing with the obvious.

No draw registered after that, switch working fine..I'm assuming lack of use.

Just to be certain checked stator 3 phase output at
    1. Rest.
    2. Idle
    3. 5k revs
    Also checked it wasn't earthing out.

Glad to say all readings were acceptable.. therfore I can only think it's Reg/Rec..Tech that serviced it 2 weeks ago getting me a price for the RR from BMW Glasgow..

Removing the RR looks a bit of fun !

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMac View Post
    My thoughts would be Reg/Rec. My 1098 would shut down i.e no sign of life in electrics whilst doing any speed even on a trackday. Turned out the Reg/Rec was outputting 15+v and the clocks have a safety measure that they shut down when over voltage.

I now run one of these on all my bikes and it shows various colours for various voltages. I would have never diagnosed the 1098 problem without it. Saved my brain/time for years now. J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-MOTOR...Cclp%3A2334524
    Good shout on that Jamie, no mention of Lithium tho it says any 12V Battery.. think I'll nab one of these.. That MV could be doing with one too.

Reckon OK for a Lith battery ?

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Quote Originally Posted by mike g View Post
    after 2 pattern generators and the original bmw "burning out" I've wired a digital voltmeter into the switched accessory socket RH side of the headstock with some positaps.
    pleased to confirm the SH bmw generator is still charging nicely. It's still on the original reg rec, although I did try a pattern one before I realised the original was burnt out (30+K miles) the pattern ones (generator) lasted less than 2K, SH one is still ok at 46k, and I've a brand new spare just in case. also replaced the battery in the initial WTF stage, but the original is still good (both gel).
    anyway worth fitting the voltmeter for peace of mind, double sided tape to the head stock air intake, so it's not in your face, but easy to check.
    Mike, what one did you fit ?.

That LED charge monitor Jamie recommended looks neat enough.

S

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    Good shout on that Jamie, no mention of Lithium tho it says any 12V Battery.. think I'll nab one of these.. That MV could be doing with one too.

Reckon OK for a Lith battery ?

Stu, all my bikes including the Dullsville run Lithium batteries. Perfect on all of them. Reassuring to see green at any revs whilst you’re riding. Especially as V-Twins are hard on batteries. Remember whilst your riding it’s actually checking your alternator output. Plus if you only have one trickle charger you can see easily which bike needs a top up. J

Reg/Rec fairly easy to remove if you pull the bottom subframe bolts, loosen the top 2 and swing the subframe up. Check your rear brake reservoir so it doesn’t pull the hose. J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Quote Originally Posted by JamieMac View Post
    Stu, all my bikes including the Dullsville run Lithium batteries. Perfect on all of them. Reassuring to see green at any revs whilst you’re riding. Especially as V-Twins are hard on batteries. Remember whilst your riding it’s actually checking your alternator output. Plus if you only have one trickle charger you can see easily which bike needs a top up. J
    I like how neat it is, and the sound of that.. did you run the cables direct from the battery Jamie ?

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Or switched side I'm thinking..

Riding
    HP4, F3 800

Glad I asked the question, got a reply from Steve @ gammatronnix, stating that they sell a specific model for Lithium batteries, it will not however work on any battery except Lithium..it's the same price £14.95

2 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER Flyingscotsman's Avatar
    Riding
    S1k 2013 Black

Hi Stuart, were you having battery trouble before you switched to the new Lithium one?

Something I've always wondered about is that the Lithium batteries need special mains chargers because of their tech (they seem to be very sensitive to over or under voltage and charge rate), but then we put them in vehicles (both bikes & cars) that don't have any special charging circuits.

Just a thought, but perhaps your charging circuit is out of spec for a Lithium but would be OK for a lead acid battery.