Motorrad Alarmed Disc Lock

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOCKE

Reaction score
Anyone got one? Any good? Ok clearance on the RR? I believe it?s a BMW branded ABUS 8077 but can?t seem to find if it?s Thatcham approved.

I have one of them but not BMW branded. It fits the disk ok, it?s loud and slips in the spare luggage void in its carrying pouch. It goes everywhere with the bike now. It was worth the money imo.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of them but not BMW branded. It fits the disk ok, it?s loud and slips in the spare luggage void in its carrying pouch. It goes everywhere with the bike now. It was worth the money imo.

Mick

Thanks. Do you know if it?s thatcham approved? What?s it like weight wise?

Weigh wise 880g but no I don?t think it is. However some insurers do recognise it as a sturdy bit of kit. Hope that helps.

I've got one as well - it's Thatcham approved and it's OK weight wise - fairly heavy but it's a substantial lock - as Valhalla64 says, it's worth the money, I bought mine for my 2019 Europe trip...?

Here is a cut and paste for the ABUS 8077 which is the same as the BMW badged one:

The Abus Granit Detecto X Plus 8077 in Bright Orange. The Abus Granit Detecto is a big chunky motorcycle brake disc lock with a built in alarm which is Thatcham approved as well as ice spray tested. The Abus disc lock is made from special hardened steel, has a 13mm locking bolt, an unpickable cylinder and comes with a handy padded pouch. The Abus Granit Detecto X Plus disc lock's 100 decibel alarm has a clever 3D motion detection system which is activated if anyone tries to interfere with it or, helpfully, if you lift the bike of the stand without removing it first! However, we would still recommend you invest in a disk lock warning cable. The alarm can also recognise when it is attached to a brake disc so it can be carried in the locked position without going off. The Abus Granit Detecto X Plus 8077 weighs 880 grams and has a multi-colour LED to inform you about battery, activation and alarm status. The Abus 8077 disc lock is supplied with two keys, one with an LED light, an Abus Code Card for additional or replacement keys, and two AAA standard batteries. The Abus Granit Detecto X Plus 8077 disc lock is an extremely portable and visible deterrent against theft which is also available in Bright Red, Green or Yellow.

I paid ?115.00 on eBay for mine, brand new from Sytner BMW

Last edited:
Apologies - ignore above as failed to notice the discontinued statement.

I'll take myself outside and have a word!

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/435177

Just been looking for a disc lock myself and read lots of reviews. Most review articles state the 8008 is probably the best and I've just found it for ?135 - see link from sportsbikeshop.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Sportsbikeshop show the 8008 as being discontinued and no longer available. I was looking at the 8077, but the reviews really put me off it. Multiple people complained about the barrel seizing and one person having to cut it off with a hacksaw because they couldn't unlock it. Bizarrely someone gave it a 5 star review on Amazon even though it went rusty within a week and batteries dying after 3 days.

Sportsbikeshop show the 8008 as being discontinued and no longer available. I was looking at the 8077, but the reviews really put me off it. Multiple people complained about the barrel seizing and one person having to cut it off with a hacksaw because they couldn't unlock it. Bizarrely someone gave it a 5 star review on Amazon even though it went rusty within a week and batteries dying after 3 days.

If it really is the bad doubt BMW would have put there name on it?

Latest posts

Back