Throttle Position Switch - limp mode

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
I went out for a ride today. (Before we totally get locked down) and I was on part throttle, pulled onto the bypass opened it up but nothing stupid and it immediately it went it to limp mode. Now this has happened before on a Track day. However when on a bypass with nowhere to pull over with moronic car drivers it was downright terrifying.

When I did find a place to pull over I knew switching it off then on would reset the ecu but once over quarter throttle it would go back into limp mode, as such i cruised back home very cautiously.

The last time it happened the bike went back under warranty (6 months ago) and it was the TP switch in the throttle (not the throttle body).

Question is, do the experts out there know if this is a common fault? As it?s happened twice now its going to always be in the back of my mind if it?s going to happen again.

Cheers

Gav

has happened loads of times to me,gen 2 and gen3.sometimes an ign. on/off cures it,sometimes not,fault is twist grip sensor.a reset by the gs911 cures it.

as weird as it sounds though,i put down to battery voltage,it happened to me everytime bike had been stood for a while,(on way to spain,so no charge for a couple of weeks),start it,ticks over fine to warm up,but as soon as you start down pitlane would happen,1st session,nearly everytime (with different bikes not just 1).but after i'd do a throttle calib. and a full session it never happens now
i do a throttle calibration everytime i go out on track now,and haven't had an issue since.

has happened loads of times to me,gen 2 and gen3.sometimes an ign. on/off cures it,sometimes not,fault is twist grip sensor.a reset by the gs911 cures it.

as weird as it sounds though,i put down to battery voltage,it happened to me everytime bike had been stood for a while,(on way to spain,so no charge for a couple of weeks),start it,ticks over fine to warm up,but as soon as you start down pitlane would happen,1st session,nearly everytime (with different bikes not just 1).but after i'd do a throttle calib. and a full session it never happens now
i do a throttle calibration everytime i go out on track now,and haven't had an issue since.

Thanks for the info. Ideally i don't want to buy a GS911 at this stage but i will if gets more problematic. When you mentioned the voltage i was wondering maybe the lithium battery had anything to do with it but then i realised last time it did it i had the stock battery installed. It is also always on a trickle charge so really the voltage shouldn't drop plus the bike is used fairly regular.

Well it is back at Bahnstormer and i hope they can get it sorted this week. If it was just a track bike i wouldn't worry but it is also my road bike as well so it just makes you a bit uneasy using it on the road.

they are very sensitive to voltage (wether it's due to the canbus i've no idea),you could try doing a manual throttle calib.yourself if it happens again to reset it.

ign.on,twist throttle grip fully open,pulling to enusre it's fully open,hold a for a couple of seconds,close throttle,pushing to make sure it's fully closed,turn off ign. then turn back on.thats the method with the gs911,and has worked in the pst without it so if you get stuck again,try that.

they are very sensitive to voltage (wether it's due to the canbus i've no idea),you could try doing a manual throttle calib.yourself if it happens again to reset it.

ign.on,twist throttle grip fully open,pulling to enusre it's fully open,hold a for a couple of seconds,close throttle,pushing to make sure it's fully closed,turn off ign. then turn back on.thats the method with the gs911,and has worked in the pst without it so if you get stuck again,try that.

Ah nice! Thanks Scoob. Well the only issue is i won't probably see it for a month. Went back to Bahnstormer on Monday as it is under warranty and was booked for a service anyway. But they are obviously closing up bar working on bikes for customers who are NHS staff. Anyway now i have your little work around i will use that if it happens again and if i ever get it back :)

i'm not saing that will definatley woek,more thats the process when recalibrating the throttle twist grip sensor,it has worked when calibrating a throttle without the gs911,but saying it will eveytime.

Latest posts

Back