Winter Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1kgaz

Reaction score
So I need new boots .I have decided that as I want to ride through winter mainly drier days but with blightys dynamic weather I have come to choose either pilot road 3/4 or metzeler z8 I would like some opinions on these tyres I will buy the k3's April 2015 as these are useless in the cold?

ive had the pilot road 4's,great tyres with loads of wet and cold road grip.highly recommend them.

Last edited:
ive had the pilot road 4's,great tyres with loads of wet and cold road grip.highly recommend them.

+ 1 I've got the older Road 3's, love them, very confidence inspiring and seem to last well. The 4's are supposed to last longer too as the rear has a slightly harder compound in the centre.

I've got the Road 4's for this winter, loving them, grip in the wet is flawless, on a hott day it's easy to make the back spin up when powering out a corner but the DTC sorts it and makes it fun to ride.

I've got about 2000 miles on them already, still look like new. Which is good as the longest "summer" tyre has only last me 1400 miles.

Another vote for PR4's. I had PR3's last winter on my Fireblade. The new S1000RR only has about 800 miles on it so far but I just put PR4's on it last week ready for winter commuting.

Yup, PR4's on now after the previous PR3's lasted nearly 10k.

Earlier today (before I saw this thread) I was speaking to my local tyre shop and they recommended PR3's and said that quite a few of the customers who had bought PR4's went back to PR3's because they preferred the softer compound. I will be glad to get rid of my BT016Pros which I found rather hard and uncommunicative and PR3's sound like the way to go

Earlier today (before I saw this thread) I was speaking to my local tyre shop and they recommended PR3's and said that quite a few of the customers who had bought PR4's went back to PR3's because they preferred the softer compound. I will be glad to get rid of my BT016Pros which I found rather hard and uncommunicative and PR3's sound like the way to go
I initially wanted the pr3 but they had not got them in the size I needed and were unable to get them from michelin as they stopped production reading about the softer front but as was explained they have changed the sipes and gave them a chamfaured edges which extends tyre life the compounds are the same for the fronts and the rear has a slightly harder compound in the centre only hope this helps .

Have PR3s on at the moment, but will try the PR4s when they existing ones needs replacing.

Had one set of PR3s last 12k miles.

Latest posts

Back