Winter plans?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone got anything planned for their bikes over the winter? Deep cleans? Conversions to track or from track to road? Maintenance? Or do you just never stop riding :)

I'm very much missing riding atm, annoyed at having to leave it 100+ miles from home to keep it safe, #londonliving

Keep on using it, on good days.
Maybe change the exhaust system and add some Alpha Racing trinkets.

I hate London and avoid it at all costs. Having said that I was in Chelsea a couple of weeks ago, which was quite nice.

Done 560 miles on it now, so finished riding it this year. Looking forward to getting it serviced and unlocked over the winter. Ready for weather permitting, March next year.

Attachments

• 24 RR.jpg
    24 RR.jpg
    106.9 KB
Where do I start.. over the summer I turned my garage from a dumping ground with motorbikes in it, into a proper garage: Duramat flooring (with thanks to Mr Smooth for help with that), better ceiling lighting (LED hexagon lights), wall cupboards etc. I also got some extra electrical sockets installed and wall mounted my trickle chargers. I've just bought a new mechanics chair as the uneven pre-duramat floor destroyed my old one, and also bought some polishing tools as I need to correct a few blemishes on the bikes and my car.

First up is the Gen 2. Planning a fairings off deep clean. As the pic shows, the colour coded rad/oil guards have done their job over a number of years and need some tlc. They are a bit dirty in the pic, but you can see that the paint has come off in various areas. I am trying to decide if I should clean and repaint them myself or have them professionally done - the guy that services it recommended a company that will clean the old paint off and put a cerakaote finish on them - only thing is he can't do a blue that's close to the bluefire colour, so I'd have to go for a black or grey colour, which could be OK. For just a little bit more than that would cost, I could buy another set from R&G but I was never that impressed by the finish, so a tougher finish might last longer - any thoughts on that? Any alternatives anyone can suggest?

Attachments

• rad.JPG
    rad.JPG
    74.2 KB
If we get some nice weather before the salt arrives, I might get the S1 out. Otherwise I have my Honda for when the weather goes nasty. Though if I don't need to go out, I won't. Done enough riding in the rain for commuting.

i miss riding but need to pull my finger out and investigate loss of power on the last day at Mugello earlier this year. The more wiser people have suggested its the ignition coils so have picked up 1 full set of 2nd hand ones.... Just need to get the tank off and have a dig around... watch a few YT videos and FB DIY Mechanics make it seem simple enough but hate it when I have a couple of screws left in the tray.... if anyone is around to give a helping hand (Carshalton, Surrey) .... beer/curry tea/biscuits are available... :)

I do have a infra red temp gun.... I guess need to start with knowing which one is duff

Attachments

• 47e6b0a5-0c2a-4fa8-ac04-5d73819336eb.jpeg
    47e6b0a5-0c2a-4fa8-ac04-5d73819336eb.jpeg
    64.9 KB
  • 3bb16706-c2a8-4a05-b26d-33c9680065bb.jpeg
    3bb16706-c2a8-4a05-b26d-33c9680065bb.jpeg
    45.2 KB
i miss riding but need to pull my finger out and investigate loss of power on the last day at Mugello earlier this year. The more wiser people have suggested its the ignition coils so have picked up 1 full set of 2nd hand ones.... Just need to get the tank off and have a dig around... watch a few YT videos and FB DIY Mechanics make it seem simple enough but hate it when I have a couple of screws left in the tray.... if anyone is around to give a helping hand (Carshalton, Surrey) .... beer/curry tea/biscuits are available... :)

I do have a infra red temp gun.... I guess need to start with knowing which one is duff
It is an easy job.
Gen3, would be happy to help.
PM me your number.

Last edited:
Anyone got anything planned for their bikes over the winter? Deep cleans? Conversions to track or from track to road? Maintenance? Or do you just never stop riding :)

I'm very much missing riding atm, annoyed at having to leave it 100+ miles from home to keep it safe, #londonliving
Ride as much as possible weather permitting.Once the salt goes down thats it and when the frosts appear in she comes on stands full tank of fuel a covering of acf-50 and on a trickle charger.Then the website searches for how to improve with aftermarket parts begins.

Where do I start.. over the summer I turned my garage from a dumping ground with motorbikes in it, into a proper garage: Duramat flooring (with thanks to Mr Smooth for help with that), better ceiling lighting (LED hexagon lights), wall cupboards etc. I also got some extra electrical sockets installed and wall mounted my trickle chargers. I've just bought a new mechanics chair as the uneven pre-duramat floor destroyed my old one, and also bought some polishing tools as I need to correct a few blemishes on the bikes and my car.

First up is the Gen 2. Planning a fairings off deep clean. As the pic shows, the colour coded rad/oil guards have done their job over a number of years and need some tlc. They are a bit dirty in the pic, but you can see that the paint has come off in various areas. I am trying to decide if I should clean and repaint them myself or have them professionally done - the guy that services it recommended a company that will clean the old paint off and put a cerakaote finish on them - only thing is he can't do a blue that's close to the bluefire colour, so I'd have to go for a black or grey colour, which could be OK. For just a little bit more than that would cost, I could buy another set from R&G but I was never that impressed by the finish, so a tougher finish might last longer - any thoughts on that? Any alternatives anyone can suggest?
I'd probably just rattle can them black.

Ride as much as possible weather permitting.Once the salt goes down thats it and when the frosts appear in she comes on stands full tank of fuel a covering of acf-50 and on a trickle charger.Then the website searches for how to improve with aftermarket parts begins.
Website searching when not riding gets me in trouble...

Latest posts

Back