Which track bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol.. here talking about old bikes I walked into Penrith M/Cycles yesterday... clocked a wee fizzy over in the corner AND a white X7.. That brought back memories of September 1980 when I got mine out of Bill Flemings... I was getting all nostalgic...had a wee tear in my eye..haha

Sent from Galaxy S7

Get yourself an old GS, it will suit you better for your age and your love of the off-road, oh did I mention your age.

Good luck with the search big ane.

I'm away out now on knobblies to slide about on wet leaves.

JimmyMac
Perfect day Jimmy for that million pound jaiket you bought....see if its worth the money ! Lol

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
Was talking to a guy recently who races over here who has a blade
He told me he bought it as a road bike and converted it , worst mistake he ever made as he's spent a fortune on it to date, he said he should have bought a track bike as it would have worked out much cheaper in the long run and worst case he'd have to fix the engine if it turned out it was buggered

The thing with having a track bike is how much you're actually going to use it, if its a lot then ?4k on anything decent is worth it, if its just 3 or 4 times a year isn't it better to just use the sthou?

Ooh nice paint job! You must be able to get a very nice road '04 R1 for that price and then bung some race body work on?

The thing with having a track bike is how much you're actually going to use it, if its a lot then ?4k on anything decent is worth it, if its just 3 or 4 times a year isn't it better to just use the sthou?

I think its risk mgmt which gets most people to buy a dedicated tool. We're less emotionally and financially attached. I keep considering it. But I agree if you don't book up a heap of days at the same time its pretty pointless.

- Sent from Mobile

My 2c...

Maybe it is just me but I'm not so much bothered about smashing up the bike as I am about getting seriously hurt from a crash. So I take the view that I need as much electronic 'save my arse' stuff as possible. Riding about on something I don't mind crashing on is probably going to do me a fair bit of harm.

TDs for me are a few a year. It makes more financial sense to equip my current bike with suitable protection and fairings should the worst happen than to get a less able machine for a lot more expenditure.

Or get the GS as jimmy says lol.

Im the opposite soof. When my r1 was a road /track bike i road it badly (still not great 😂😂😂). I was stiff on the bike , broke like a girl and geniunly wasnt enjoying myself. I had a choice of buying a dedicated track bike or buy a new road bike and convert a very well set up r1. Its the only reason i bought the s1kr as it was only a year old with fa miles . The carbon stuff and the "bling" was sold off the r1 and i soent 1200 quid on an engine refresh and some track fairings for the r1.
524ab623036bf34429f8f570480b8631.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You could buy either of the two Alex has found keep them for a year and flog them next year if you find your not using them as much as you thought
You'll probably get close to your money back
If you continue to use your hp4 and bin it it'll probably cost you a lot more to fix knowing how expensive bmw parts are

I agree with Mac and Soof, how likely are you to use it every year?
Buy crash protection and fairings for your bike and ride what you are used to.
I was thinking the same at the beginning of the year and I've had 3 track days. 2 with a max of 12 laps!
If it's something that you will do on a more regular basis then buy a dedicated track bike when the time comes.

Na Alex ive a Shogun 7 seater...towbar...good trailer... To be honest I turned up at Knockhill there was loads of caravans, vans with trailers etc all set up for the weekend...im like ill have some of this ! Really appealed ! Truth is we've little choice for tracks up here ...

Sent from Galaxy S7

Presuming your talking about transport to and from tracks.. anyhow Ive scunnered myself over the weekend looking here there and everywhere...... this week im not looking ! Lol

Sent from Galaxy S7

You could buy either of the two Alex has found keep them for a year and flog them next year if you find your not using them as much as you thought
You'll probably get close to your money back
If you continue to use your hp4 and bin it it'll probably cost you a lot more to fix knowing how expensive bmw parts are
My thoughts exactly mate

Sent from Galaxy S7

I agree with Mac and Soof, how likely are you to use it every year?
Buy crash protection and fairings for your bike and ride what you are used to.
I was thinking the same at the beginning of the year and I've had 3 track days. 2 with a max of 12 laps!
If it's something that you will do on a more regular basis then buy a dedicated track bike when the time comes.
This is also on my mind Loupe.. were hardly surrounded with tracks to choose from ! Hmmm

Sent from Galaxy S7

Back