Which track bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Morning my friends... a question for the track demons out there.

99 R1

2003 Blade

2002 or 3 Gixxer thou.

From a track perspective...fairings, parts etc etc is there an obvious choice Im away to look at some bikes today and would appreciate some thoughts on the above.

Cheers

Stu

Sent from Galaxy S7

I'm not a track demon but owned a 2 grand 99R1 a few years ago and used it on road and track, like any older bike it needs to be in good shape but for an intermediate rider like me it was excellent with a nailed on front end, decent stoppers (braided hoses fitted) and 170mph+ performance plus cheap, available spare parts galore

It would be the 99 r1 for me also. Saying that if budget allowed and you could get up to a k5 suzuki then that changes things

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blade sold.. R1 previously had second hand head fitted oil pump collapsed seized camshaft... avoided that. GIXXER Ran sweet enough but pretty rough round edges.. clearly been tracked.. liked the guy... Gary Penrith of M/Cycles would have no hesitation in buying off him. Heading home gixxer K5s getting researched tonight...

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
You're on a slippery slope there big man!
I look at non bike related things to buy and then decide against it because it goes towards another track day lol

Ive had a 98R1 track bike and GSXR 1000 K5 track bike and a Fireblade track bike over the years. The GSXR was the most modified being ex Bsb super stock race bike. The GSXR's are the most like S1000rr of rider position and power delivery and they go well and stop well.

Ive always fancied a 600 track bike just to see how far it can be pushed in the corners as the thou's seem to like to spit me off over the high side when pushing it out of corners.

Gixxer 750 is the ideal machine... seen another gixxer thou in Hawick on way home .. ran well lot of trick bits on it... hmmmm still ! Not convinced..

Sent from Galaxy S7

a would be tempted to look at 750s stu , I had a k5 750 and it was brillant. you thinking of doing a lot more trackdays next year mate? if it's predominantly going to be knockhill a thou gets a bit much tbh , 600s enough for there , I've been smoked by many a 600 up there lol

Aye Davy but Wouldnae mind a blast on the road 600 way too busy on the gearbox theres loads of 600s out there

Sent from Galaxy S7

true true mate , up and doon all the time. 750s a good bet , you've got me looking now......

Fancy chipping in lol im just back in... tablets out and i am on it... back in the hunt tomorrow..lot of places closed on a sunday I could never figure that out

Sent from Galaxy S7

I'd have a go on a 750 if I were you, had a k8 for years, great bike
Not sure if a 675 would be in your budget but worth a look too

Its picking a goodie Powders.. ive bought a few machines from down south new or almost new..thats easy..... buying something 10 to 12 yo is way harder. The thou I saw today was dog tired...looked ok at 1st. I need to travel but 90pc of what im looking at is between 130 to 350 miles away. Doubt ill buy unless I see it or has a fantastic and accurate description...im no bothered what I buy...ill adapt

Sent from Galaxy S7

lol a would love too stu but it's bad enough having one bike sitting in a lockup most of the time , would love one tho

PS dont want to spend any more than 4k

Sent from Galaxy S7

Get yourself an old GS, it will suit you better for your age and your love of the off-road, oh did I mention your age.

Good luck with the search big ane.

I'm away out now on knobblies to slide about on wet leaves.

JimmyMac

Back