When swapping engines....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lllN30lll

Reaction score
Well my engines fooked after only 5000 miles, ran out of warranty last year (it is 2 year manufacturer warranty isn't it? )
Damaged valves on cylinder 4 when piston at TDC, and both valves leaking %50.

There's no decent bike shop where I live that can do the work, so what's required if I get another engine? Will I need the ECU? and will the clocks also work ok? I heard a few things need to go to the dealers to be matched up etc.

cheers

Glyn i can ring Russ for you,,used to be chief mechanic at K2...dead sound gut and just opening up on his own up Porthill....might be worth a phone call....let me know bud

Assuming you don't have extended warranty ,have they. Told you no way will they fix it ?????
They know its a fault with the 2010 bikes , you should pursue it , say you are part of the forum , the US forum has quite a few of these bikes that developed the identical fault...
You could ask the people at build base as well.
Steve from charlesworth garage was their spanner chucked for years , he might do it also , not a million miles from you

Jesus, thats not good fella - makes me very nervous and all the more reason to extend my warranty when it runs out!!! Good luck with it. Did you do a lot of track days with yours or was it mainly fast road riding??? I do always wonder what extra stresses and pressures you put on your bike when humping around the track at full pelt!!??

Mine is a 2010 - only got 2,000 miles on clock - im 2nd owner - has an extended BMW warranty until June this year.

Last edited:
Though it sounded more than just an electrical fault.

Speak to BMW. There is usually a 3 yr warranty on new bikes. If its just run out of warranty they may cover 50% of the repair. A new engine supplied from BMW is a tad over £8,000 inc vat + fitting. my new engine inc fitting came to just over £12,000 all in, but that included all the investigation work on the damaged engine.

It's probably not worth buying a second hand engine as your not knowing what your buying. Have a word with BMW and see what they say

The early bikes are pretty rattly anyway
They spin up really quickly too

Last edited:
Any noise, rattle or knock i hear from herein im gonna start getting mega paranoid!!

Back