Wheel balancing weights

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys a strip of weights from the front wheel has worked loose and come off.What would be the best thing to stick them back on with to avoid damage to the carbon wheel.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Hi guys a strip of weights from the front wheel has worked loose and come off.What would be the best thing to stick them back on with to avoid damage to the carbon wheel.

New weights mate.. service limit on HP rims I'm sure is 80 grammes, Carbon will be less id imagine without referencing the manual , what's the total weight that's worked loose ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

New weights mate.. service limit on HP rims I'm sure is 80 grammes, Carbon will be less id imagine without referencing the manual , what's the total weight that's worked loose ?

ECh one is 5 so totalling 30 mate.
9aab6552bce0094d2e1f79606658cb77.jpg

ECh one is 5 so totalling 30 mate.
9aab6552bce0094d2e1f79606658cb77.jpg

Just had another gander there is still two 5s left which I'm assuming is where the strip snapped off from.Ive just checked my rear and those weights have gone completely which is strange although the roads are shite around me maybe one bump too many.

Just buy a pack of new weights online, good idea to invest in a simple balancer too.. 40 quid sorts that, that's all mine cost and works perfectly.

Wipe the rim with Isopropyl alcohol or spec wipes, they won't come off in normal use if applied correctly..check the service limit for Carbon rims tho, not the first time I've rotated a tyre on the rim to get the balance in line with service guidelines

Last edited:
Just buy a pack of new weights online, good idea to invest in a simple balancer too.. 40 quid sorts that, that's all mine cost and works perfectly.

Wipe the rim with Isopropyl alcohol or spec wipes, they won't come off in normal use if applied correctly..check the service limit for Carbon rims tho, not the first time I've rotated a tyre on the rim to get the balance in line with service guidelines

Cheers Stuart can you explain service limit you mention that is a new one to me.

Never had the chance you change any rubber on my Gen 4 Carbon Rims, so not sure what the parameters are.

The reference I make is the maximum allowable weight applied to correctly balance a wheel/tyre assembly on a beemer, I know its 80 grammes on HP4 rims which is a lot in my opinion.

Carbon rims will have a lower tolerance as they are lighter, had a quick browse on my phone and couldn't find a reference online, maybe someone with more info will chime in.

Worth noting....Tyres can have heavy/light spots usually signified with a painted dot on the side, a savvy fitter will fit the tyre with the dot at either 180 degrees to the valve (opposite side) or directly at the valve stem (depending on tyre manufacturer) then balance it up.. generally a true rim with a correctly mounted tyre shouldn't take much weight to correct the balance, sometimes no weight is needed at all, my HP4 has no weights on the rear and 25g on the front..

Just checked my Haynes manual and can't see anything regarding balance weights, the figures must be in the bikes manual for sure..

Dunno if this makes anything clearer to you lol..[emoji1]

Last edited:
Just remembered, are you still selling the bike ?.. if so just buy some fresh weights and bang them on..can't beat a bit of reckless abandon [emoji1][emoji106]

The dot on the tyre is the lightest part of the tyre and this should be fitted where the valve is on the rim. If they?re on the opposite of where the valve is then the tyre has been fitted incorrectly, you can still achieve a good balance but it?s not as it should be.

Never had the chance you change any rubber on my Gen 4 Carbon Rims, so not sure what the parameters are.

The reference I make is the maximum allowable weight applied to correctly balance a wheel/tyre assembly on a beemer, I know its 80 grammes on HP4 rims which is a lot in my opinion.

Carbon rims will have a lower tolerance as they are lighter, had a quick browse on my phone and couldn't find a reference online, maybe someone with more info will chime in.

Worth noting....Tyres can have heavy/light spots usually signified with a painted dot on the side, a savvy fitter will fit the tyre with the dot at either 180 degrees to the valve (opposite side) or directly at the valve stem (depending on tyre manufacturer) then balance it up.. generally a true rim with a correctly mounted tyre shouldn't take much weight to correct the balance, sometimes no weight is needed at all, my HP4 has no weights on the rear and 25g on the front..

Just checked my Haynes manual and can't see anything regarding balance weights, the figures must be in the bikes manual for sure..

Dunno if this makes anything clearer to you lol..[emoji1]

Cheers Stuart for the info and yes unfortunately the bike is for sale breaking my heart.

The dot on the tyre is the lightest part of the tyre and this should be fitted where the valve is on the rim. If they?re on the opposite of where the valve is then the tyre has been fitted incorrectly, you can still achieve a good balance but it?s not as it should be.
Thanks Wull[emoji106]

Latest posts

Back