wet and cold trackday tips?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DL84

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have my first trackday of the season on Friday at knockhill, now it looks like the weather is going to be s@#t ,wet,cold,windy, probably snow...lol, I am considering pulling out ( I know chicken) but is it worth going ahead with it? anyone got experience of this? any tips or advice would be appreciated, I have done lots of trackday at knockhill but I have always been lucky as it's been dry. now bare in mind it's a full road bike that I use daily (no car licence ) and the last time I was there in the dry I binned it......

cheers David

Last edited:
The forecast (not that you can really forecast Knockhill weather) is 6 degrees and pissing it down, I wouldn't bother.

The forecast (not that you can really forecast Knockhill weather) is 6 degrees and pissing it down, I wouldn't bother.

very true Certi, knockhill does have its own wee micro climate.....

Trackday

Riding, and especially racing in the wet, really isn't all that bad. From experience when you race with a well set-up bike on full wets the amount of grip that you can find is phenomenal. It's simply a case of being smooth and progressive with the throttle and when braking keeping the bike as stable as possible. The same applies to using a road bike, with road tyres fitted, on track in the wet. I've spent countless laps on track in wet conditions using both race wets and road tyres and you will be surprised at the level of grip that you can find.

I did a day at Donington on dunlop D211's. Hammered it down all morning. Most people did a sighting lap them came in. We went out bit slow. Into the second session I was thinking about going home, then something switched in my mind and I started going faster and faster. Still raining but I just thought, I'm here now, get on with it.
Was awesome. Then it dried up after lunch and I had probably the best trackday I ever had.
Was on my old K4 1000

Just take it easy. This is me on road tyres at Oulton a few years ago.
Rode it there the night before and home after the day (220 miles each way)

Last edited:
brilliant mate , that's the way to do it , don't know what to do now! lol

Trackday

Race Wets:

DSC_8854_zpsmje0jcf6.jpg

Road Tyres:

DSC_7158_zpswgtrhgwl.jpg

cheers ry think I might give it a go.... but you look like you have alot more talent than me lol

Trackday

Just concentrate on smooth throttle action and progressive braking; that's pretty much the key to wet weather riding on track.

I had a go at Snett in the wet on my RSVR yes it was different but I kept thinking if this goes it's gonna cost me so the wet's not my thing really. On my S1000RR the wets won't go on unless I trash it in the dry first :)

Attachments

• DSC_2623.JPG
    DSC_2623.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_2624.JPG
    DSC_2624.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_2780.JPG
    DSC_2780.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 54
From my experience on track it is a lot lot lot better fun in the dry, but that said I will still go out if it's raining. Stick wets on and have fun, the more you ride in the wet the more confidence you gain and it is still fun, just not as much fun as the dry!
just put the heated grips on, cover up so you don't get wet and just go for it

I'd go. You may get lucky, but if its wet it just helps you learn as Ryan says, no sudden movements.

well I went guys...... the day started ok ,dry , so went clay pigeon shooting with my Bro and freind stu , found out that I am rubish with a shotgun and came last..... left Paisley about 3pm just in time for the rain starting.... traffic was nose to tail on the m8 until I got through glasgow and it pissed down all the way to the kincardine bridge , glad I had waterproofs and plenty of layers on as it was freezing, didn't help that my Bro, mate stu and there bikes were all tucked up in a nice warm van repeatedly passing me giving me the finger (b@#tards)
when I got to knockhill it was actually snowing.....
got signed in and bought a coffee which cost ?80 as there was know way I was going out on track in the snow lol , my Bro and mate turned up got unloaded, had our safety briefing and the pit opened at 6pm. it had stopped snowing buy this point but was freezing 4 degrees!, so we headed to the pit and let the braver guys head out most on full trackbikes with full wets..... one guy on a fireblade was rapid pulling wheelies the legnth of the pit straight nutter fair play. there was a guy on a 2014 s1000 red/white road bike who was going very well and a fella on a 2016 s1000 red/white who was flying too.(anyone on here?)
so thought bugger this not paying ?80 for a coffee and headed out on track..... virtually got passed buy everyone, even got lapped buy my Bro and mate lol , this was not my day..... rode round like miss daisy for about 20min and came off , sod this! wet and cold not for me , had no confidence what so ever and was shitting it the whole way round. So sat at the pit wall and watched the brave guys scud round.... so lesson learned the wets not for me and you can't predict scottish weather.... bloody snow in April..... hopefully the next one in may will be dry!
will post some pics up in the showroom section when I get a chance if the track photographer made it! .

cheers

David

Last edited:
Davy take comfort in the fact you never smashed up your machine... heading out on a wet track you have to be really positive if not thats when the shit happens.. snowing n all ffs. Wise choice m8

cheers Stuart, it could have been worse as you say , my confidence was gone.... last time I was there I crashed in the dry running consistent 61s, bike felt great , then bam no warning at all I was on my arse, so I was proper shitting it this time lol , roll on the next one hopefully I will have some confidence back.

lol cheers bananaman, I could have got 4 out of Costa for that lol

Latest posts

Back