True cost of bike theft

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GixxerChuck

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Its bloody ridiculous now. If you have a 1000cc Sports bike your insurance will now go up.
If you have had a theft your insurance will go up.
If you are breathing your insurance will go up.
Just setting peoples expectations for their renewals this year.
Most amusing quote so far ?9,600.
BMW motorrad insurance won't quote me at all online (tried not showing the theft claim and still nothing online!)
The main reason for this listening to the insurance companies is the growing number of thefts.

True, and if you get your bike nicked, you loose whats left of your policy. Could be a fair sum if you were a couple of weeks in

I had a word with Neil Hodgson and Niall McKenzie at the bike show in London a few weeks ago - I told them I'd be happy with anyone except Carol Nash, who have never quoted me... they replied that their new insurance endeavour hangs off Carol Nash infrastructure... that caused an awkward silence.. :)

Gixxer, I see you have IAM passes, as do I. It was all about BeMoto vs IAM Surety for me this year, did you try them? BeMoto won because I changed one of my bikes, but IAM were wayyy cheaper than anyone had I not changed.

I do agree that you get get charged extra for breathing though. I have to declare a couple of non-fault accidents, do not believe anyone that tells me I am not being penalised for them. I was even told at one point that you'll never get insurance for an RR/R1 type bike in London area if you don't garage it, in the current scooter theft culture..

Finally sorted with IAM surety. They were calling to ask what I was going to do. I asked if my tracker was on the policy and he couldn?t see it so added it on and took 20% off. Took it back to a small amount over last years price. Still all thieving barstewards though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a bike stolen, but the only quote I can get online is north of ?2500 (up from ~?650 last year). AFAICT the only 'material' difference is that bike thefts are getting worse. (Got 6 points for speeding, but that didn't seem to make any discernible difference).

N.B. If I had a garage, it would be ~?350 (or ?400 if I rent a garage half a mile away). Not entirely sure how a garage with a flimsy door is that much more secure than having an alarmed bike chained to a ground anchor underneath my bedroom window, but what do I know?

Last edited:
I think it's more due to the bike being away from prying eyes. I garage mine and I'm guessing (hoping) no one knows it's even there except the people who saw me park it there. Secured in the open is another story. Insurance on these things on all over anyway. My previous R6 was ?160-?170 from everywhere. The RR is ?350 - ?8,000.

It's a case of out of sight out of mind, I'd be bringing it in the house if I hadn't got a secure garage, not seen that option on the renewal form lol

Where is the vehicle kept overnight? In my bedroom room photo attached as proof

a6962e05019798c86de9dd17b3236fbb--sport-bikes-instagram.jpg

True, and if you get your bike nicked, you loose whats left of your policy. Could be a fair sum if you were a couple of weeks in
I didnt lose the rest of policy but i did have to pay another 120 to carry policy on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back