Trip to France- possible routes.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzo

Reaction score
HI
im in the early stages of planning a short trip to Europe on the S1000rr. Essentially it looks like ill be travel alone as two mates have had to decline for financial reasons...

i think I'll reside from South Oxfordshire to Portsmouth then take the ferry overnight to Le'Harve. Perhaps ride down towards Le Mans ( went in year 2000 seem to recall the roads being quite good?) stay a night then go a little further south and stay one more night. Perhaps do the overnight ferry on the return journey. Only really have 3 or 4 nights max' therefore probably not enough time to get to the Alps, particularly if I want to stop for lunches, take in some sights/scenery and of course sample some French food beer and wine.....:adoration:

Any advice in terms of routes, accommodation, or based upon experience other potential routes that would fit within the time frame and criteria ?

Sorry to ask a lot there....?

Many thanks in anticipation.

I used to live south of Limoges in the limousin region of France, it's known as the "lake district" of France.
roads are brilliant and the terrain is undulating ( unlike Northern France, flat and boring).
You can be in the area in a days ride ( stay in Sarlat-de-caneda ) or near there use as a base for a couple of days to explore the area, Bergerac is a couple of hours away , rocomador is nice and as said roads are great and the French love motorcyclists.
One bit of advise eat your main meal at 12 ,plat de jour, ( plate of the day ) there isn't much choice but it's value for money and if you pick a cafe with loads of trucks outside it will be the best food you'll ever had (opposite to the uk truck stops no greasy fry ups there mate top food and wine) which brings me to my next bit of advise, don't travel far in rural France between 2pm-4pm 90% of the drivers are pissed !!!!
The cops try to stop it ( random road blocks for breath tests ) but the French can be a stubborn lot.
try to ask questions in French, they know you don't have a clue ? They laugh at you then most speak fluent English with an answer !!
enjoy

Agree 100% with above.

I holidayed a few times with the family at Ille de Re near La Rochelle. The back roads from Saumur to there are superb. Basically do a 'shortest route' on the sat nav, shooting fish in a barrel... The island is nice for an overnighter, the Relaix and Chateau there is pretty good.

Agree 100% with above.

I holidayed a few times with the family at Ille de Re near La Rochelle. The back roads from Saumur to there are superb. Basically do a 'shortest route' on the sat nav, shooting fish in a barrel... The island is nice for an overnighter, the Relaix and Chateau there is pretty good.

I'm in Ille de Re next weekend, unfortunately no bike, any recommendations?

For the OP, sorry for the hijack! Also, a chap on here called He-Be-Gb has just come back from the Dordogne and said he loved it, brilliant roads. Maybe a pm if you need routes, he's a good lad.

I'm in Ille de Re next weekend, unfortunately no bike, any recommendations?

For the OP, sorry for the hijack! Also, a chap on here called He-Be-Gb has just come back from the Dordogne and said he loved it, brilliant roads. Maybe a pm if you need routes, he's a good lad.

You know Graham too? He gets about lol.

I will try to keep it brief so as not to hijack the thread: la Flotte, lovely, L'Ecailler restaurant in the main bit harbour area is the best cuisine in the town, recommend booking, very popular with the locals. Not cheap (nothing there is). The medieval market is worth a visit, good wine shop on the main shopping road up from the harbour, they sell a lovely rose wine made by monks (from memory), or you can take an empty bottle and fill up from the vats of vin de table. St Martin, prettier, bigger than la Flotte for tourism and shopping. Lots of restaurants around the harbour, all ok'ish. The ones in the very middle bit of the harbour are very pricey for what they are, bit tourist trap but nice to have a coffee perhaps. There is a Michelin star place on the harbour wall that is very good but hard to find, little known by many tourists, and you have to walk to it. You can cycle everywhere. The southern beaches are the best, the west beaches are beautiful too but not if there is a prevailing wind. I guess it's a question of what you're after. Lovely place. Hope you have a great time.

edit: lots of nice motorbikes go over to the island on the weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, he does :) still can't kepp up with him!

Cheers for the recommendations, will let you know how we get on.

Again, sorry for the hijack, won't say another word! I am however shooting down to northern Portugal for a long weekend at the end of July to a bike rally, it's more about the beer and bands, but great runs through the picos mountains, if you change your mind about France you're welcome to come along.

Latest posts

Back