Track Day Problems Volume 2.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibs

Reaction score
I did a trackday at Doningtonon on Monday in the fast group, on my 2016 S1000RR Sport. Now i LOVE the power, and i LOVE the brakes and i LOVE leaning on the TC out of corners but I've got to be honest, I struggled with the handling. I've been riding for over 25 years on road and track and I cant for the love of good get on with the DDC, it is like me and the suspension are talking two completely different languages. Before the S'Thou i had a GSXR 1000K6 for 10 years which was modified and handled (for me) perfectly after being revalved etc at MCT, the bike and I talked the same language. I trusted it because it had feel, the S'Thou is lacking feel especially in the front, I honestly cant tell what the hell its doing. It might just be me, as there was other lads on S'Thou that were fecking flying. I was struggling to break 1min 50, when i could easliy lap 1min 45 on my old bike.

Am i missing a trick on set up? The sag is set and on the road it is great, perfect infact. But when you start to really push on track, any feel just disappears and so does my confidence.

Is there anything you can do with the DDC revalving it, or is sealed and you have to replace the whole cartridge.

Does revalving the forks and shock mess up the algorithms for DDC?

Maybe its time to bite the bullet and goto MCT and see if Darren can work his magic, but if it means spending big of money on her i think i'll sell and move on :dejection:

I can't answer your questions, I was happy with 1.51, and it's not the ddc that's holding me back on my bike lol.

Seriously though, what user settings / mode do you ride in for road / track? The ddc responds differently depending on mode.

I did a trackday at Doningtonon on Monday in the fast group, on my 2016 S1000RR Sport. Now i LOVE the power, and i LOVE the brakes and i LOVE leaning on the TC out of corners but I've got to be honest, I struggled with the handling. I've been riding for over 25 years on road and track and I cant for the love of good get on with the DDC, it is like me and the suspension are talking two completely different languages. Before the S'Thou i had a GSXR 1000K6 for 10 years which was modified and handled (for me) perfectly after being revalved etc at MCT, the bike and I talked the same language. I trusted it because it had feel, the S'Thou is lacking feel especially in the front, I honestly cant tell what the hell its doing. It might just be me, as there was other lads on S'Thou that were fecking flying. I was struggling to break 1min 50, when i could easliy lap 1min 45 on my old bike.

Am i missing a trick on set up? The sag is set and on the road it is great, perfect infact. But when you start to really push on track, any feel just disappears and so does my confidence.

Is there anything you can do with the DDC revalving it, or is sealed and you have to replace the whole cartridge.

Does revalving the forks and shock mess up the algorithms for DDC?

Maybe its time to bite the bullet and goto MCT and see if Darren can work his magic, but if it means spending big of money on her i think i'll sell and move on :dejection:

I think you've answered your own question, you owned a bike for 10 years that you honed to be perfect but then you say you may sell a bike you've had for 5 minutes because it doesn't give you confidence - you'd find that with any new bike. Take it to MCT as you say and let them do their thing on settings then try again but this time not on a 98db day :)

DDC Suspension

I decided to persevere with DDC despite originally suffering the same vagueness in feeling from the front end. I subsequently spent an entire season learning and understanding its nuances as the feeling it generates, particularly at the front end, is different to that of traditional suspension. For Slow to Intermediate Group pace the DDC system is absolutely fine but if your running upper Fast Group lap times the DDC system benefits from the addition of a 2D front potentiometer which separates the compression and rebound stages of the front suspension and greatly aids setup. My DDC suspension has also benefited significantly from a change of front fork springs, minor changes to fork internals and air gap alteration in order to generate more control and front end feel. The rear electronic suspension unit has never been an issue especially after a bit of experimentation with preload. I can now comfortably run some quite fast lap times and trail brake towards an apex as I now have confidence in the front end. The DDC system is very good but like any suspension the harder you push the more work it needs in terms of setup.

After coming off a zx10 I hated my s1000 so much I tried to sell. It straight away , front end feel was non existent felt like I had to use the rear to steer . After sticking with it putting decent tires on 200/55 rear also , setting say to min not max ie 8mm I find the stiffer actually softens the ride and the 12 Mm harsher and instead of trying to ride the bike as I did my zx accepted I had to change a bit the bike does exact what I want now really happy with it . Good luck with it

I'll give MCT a ring and let Darren produce some dark magic to transform her, but knowing my luck i wont be able to get booked in till Christmas.

I rang up in July and the first available slot was September, i wish i had booked it now lol

Cheers for the replies lads i'll let you know how i get on.

i run my 2015 on track only,and tbh i love the DDC,but as RY says,it does benefit from the front pot adding on and some pre load front and rear adding.i run a decen fast group pace and haven't felt the need to swap it out for 2-3k's worth of aftermarket stuff just yet whch what i usually do on all of my track bikes tbh. can feel everything the front end is doing.the 2012 on the other hand was a different kettle of fish,for the life of me couldn't get a good set up on the front at all,thats with bitubo cartridge in there aswell.

Latest posts

Back