Tough engine?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been very heavy on engine braking when riding fast and wonder if the slipper clutch on my new S1KRR will prevent engine damage from this style of riding (I blew a valve once on another bike doing this).
I know engines are for accelerating and brakes are for slowing but I like the additional control (and noise!) that engine braking gives.
Don't want to trash my new bike. Do want to use it fully.
Also, I'm finding myself between 8K and 12K revs most of the time and wonder if I'm pushing it too hard (this is my first IL4).
Apart from a clutch being more expensive than brake pads, do you guys have any thoughts?

It will be fine. The engine braking is controlled by the electronic (FWB) throttle. I would expect that it's controlled to only create a certain amount of engine braking for a given load.
BTW it is reduced in SLICK mode.

Thanks Alex. It's all new to me. I'm beginning to understand IL4's much better. Am I right in understanding that big twins are much more delicate? I keep hearing about Duc's spilling their guts on track day.

Im same with engine braking Huge... nothing like nipping down a gear or two setting yourself up for a corner then firing out of it with the engine buzzing.. and no brakes used.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It will be fine. The engine braking is controlled by the electronic (FWB) throttle. I would expect that it's controlled to only create a certain amount of engine braking for a given load.
BTW it is reduced in SLICK mode.
Reduced!!! Bloody non existant more like [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Im same with engine braking Huge... nothing like nipping down a gear or two setting yourself up for a corner then firing out of it with the engine buzzing.. and no brakes used.

I loved that on my Aprilias, I had a guy chase me on a Ducati for over 20 miles riding back from Moffat towards Edinburgh, when I pulled over he couldn't wait to tell me that my brake lights were out.

His face was a picture when I dabbed them and then told him I only use them for emergencies! :tongue-new:

Haha brilliant Mick. Same here mate. Mind ye thats why I ran wide on our run out...should have used them on that occasion lol.

Thanks Gents. So it is normal to keep her in the 8K to 12K range.
Haven't gone to the red line yet. Apart from blurred peripheral vision, what happens at +13? Limiter cuts in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rev Range

Just use the entire rev range as that's what its designed for.

Rev Range

In standard specification (Superstock), straight from the showroom floor, these engines are unbelievably robust so you have nothing to worry about.

Re: Rev Range

Great to hear Ry. Can't believe I stuck with a big twin for so long. That IL4 engine is fantastic, sounds like a turbine.

I wouldn't worry about damaging the engine as it'd be pretty difficult to badly over-rev it as the bikes have slipper clutches.

Like Ryan says, in stock spec, these engines are pretty bullet proof, so just enjoy thrashing the nuts off it :)!

Latest posts

Back