Top Speed Run

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
As it says in the title i am looking at doing a top speed run at a Straightliners event (to hopefully save me from going to jail)

So a few questions

Is the 2016 model restricted?. (i think the engine isn't but i think the speedo stops at 186mph? YouTube)

If i am correct how can the speedo be fixed?

If it needs a remap has anyone a recommendation for the North East, Durham area or within a reasonable distance?

Anyone tried a top speed run and what did you get to?

Thanks

I have not done a top speed run myself but you should bear in mind the following:

- the speedo is not 100% accurate, it is calibrated to read slightly higher than real speed, so in order to accurately do a top speed run you will need to use some form of gps. Edit - The speedo readout on the bike is limited to 186, I don't believe that can be changed.

- the standard gearing and tyre size will give the bike a top speed around 175-180. If you change the gearing, tyre sizes, pressures, all these will affect the final number you achieve.

- a remap won't change the gearing, as the top speed is limited by the revs, it won't help you achieve a higher top speed but get you there quicker if it improves power delivery.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I once hit 72 if that helps

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes the speedo does stop at 186, and I think you need to buy the BMW up grade ECU to change it

Top Speed

The speedo display stops at 186 mph. The only way to configure it is via the BMW RCK3 or sending your ECU off to alpha Racing for Vmax unlocking. There is very little point as the speedo is inaccurate. The best way to record your speed is to either purchase a GPS based datalogging system (HP Race Datalogger) or go somewhere like Santa Pod Raceway.

In the wet i wouldny dare go past 60 !!!

I taught him how to ride in the wet

Re: Top Speed

The speedo display stops at 186 mph. The only way to configure it is via the BMW RCK3 or sending your ECU off to alpha Racing for Vmax unlocking. There is very little point as the speedo is inaccurate. The best way to record your speed is to either purchase a GPS based datalogging system (HP Race Datalogger) or go somewhere like Santa Pod Raceway.
I have been know to participate at The Pod. Start to finish is only just over half mile so i doubt the strip will be long enough.

The policeman that examined me for my IAM test said he'd been part of a group that had taken an RR (would have been a Gen2) to Bruntingthrope, and they'd got a verified 195mph out of it... As I'm not that bovvered about the top speed I didn't ask any questions, but I'm pretty sure he said it was unmodified.

See if Tyco have a spare bike you can borrow [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Slick mode ... It's the new legal high !!

Thanks for the replys Lads.

The Straightliners events are timed. I popped down to the event last sunday. Its was a top speed and wheelie event for the guinness book of records so the timing must have been up to standard.
The fastest top speed i saw was over 250mph and the fastest wheelie was over 200mph. I didn't stay long as i had found out all i need to know about the event and how it is run.

I spoke to one of the teams down there and they said that they thought that a standard bike with a loosened up engine was good for about 195mph, so that agrees with the information you have.

My idea for a remap was just to get the speedo working past 186mph for a point of reference.

Thanks for the advice concerning the BMW RCK3 but i think that looks over the top for what i want, but i will certainly keep it in mind.

Has anyone had the speedo fixed yet and if so by whom?(i am sure i have seen a video that goes part 299kph somewhere )

Once again thank you all for your input.

HP Race Calibration Kit

Unless your racing there is very little point in buying an HP Race Calibration Kit 3 and the associated ECU Enabling Code as it completely invalidates your warranty.

Re: HP Race Calibration Kit

Well to conclude this thread. I took it to the top speed event today, standard bike mirrors and number plate removed 2 teeth less on the rear sprocket. Conclusion was 190.778mph at just over 13500rpm. Speedo stopped at 186mph at 12500 .So if the speedo had continued to read it would have indicated about 202mph. If its of interest 2000milkes on the bike, conditions were damp and windy so possibly a little more could be possible.

Latest posts

Back