Timing tools tensioner.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleck002

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finished up changing the camshafts on my bike and bought the timing tools to do so, my question is, the cam chain tensioner tool that comes with it, does anyone know if that could work as a replacement cam chain tensioner? I was considering buying a manual one anyway as I was beginning to suffer from a rattly chain...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73pos01otjjoda4/IMG_1956.JPG?dl=0

This is a picture of the tensioner... it essentially looks the spitting image of every other manual tensioner, and I feel this is a bit of a stupid question really but has anyone done this? or reckon it'll work?

Cheers.

Aleck.

Because of the very nature of what your cam chain does, I think I would spend the extra ?60 on a proper manual tensioner. Not worth the risk IMO

Hmmm that was my thinking, but then I thought I just spent ?147 on this tool kit, so surely I've already spent a similar amount on a manual tensioner?!

Admittedly in the grand scheme of things another ?60 for peace of mind isn't a bad shout!

Hmmm that was my thinking, but then I thought I just spent ?147 on this tool kit, so surely I've already spent a similar amount on a manual tensioner?!

Admittedly in the grand scheme of things another ?60 for peace of mind isn't a bad shout!

Depends on what you buy ofcourse and what model your bike is I think the APE tensioners are around ?80. - ?90 but even still imo it's worth the extra. But me personally I wouldn't be using that tool as a tensioner. It doesn't appear to lock although I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the tensioner I was looking at was ?80 imported from 'murica! That was the APE pro unit. Looking at it now, it does look more involved than the one in the toolkit, sod it you've convinced me!

Cheers.

Aleck.

Depends on what you buy ofcourse and what model your bike is I think the APE tensioners are around ?80. - ?90 but even still imo it's worth the extra. But me personally I wouldn't be using that tool as a tensioner. It doesn't appear to lock although I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see any locking on it either. It is what it is, just a workshop aid for repeated timing of camshafts, nothing else.

Latest posts

Back