Those Stainless Torx-head Screws On the Tank Cover...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpyduck

Reaction score
You know those stainless torx-head screws that secure all manner of things on the S1K and other BMW's ..?

Well 2 managed to work themselves loose and fall out of my machine, so I popped into my local BMW Parts dept to obtain some replacements..

I expected the parts guy to scoot off into the back and return holding a large bag of these 96p lovelies asking me how many I wanted...

"We don't have them" he says "There's only 4 in the country..!"

"I'll take them then" says I..

I find it incredible that A) They don't stock them and B) Neither do anyone else considering this following info http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/p/BMW_2014_F800/Fillister-head-screw-M5X14/42776144/46637657650.html

FILLISTER HEAD SCREW
Part Number: 46637657650
M5X14
This product fits 169 vehicle variants.
BMW: 7 models, 169 variants between 2001 and 2016

You know those stainless torx-head screws that secure all manner of things on the S1K and other BMW's ..?

Well 2 managed to work themselves loose and fall out of my machine, so I popped into my local BMW Parts dept to obtain some replacements..

I expected the parts guy to scoot off into the back and return holding a large bag of these 96p lovelies asking me how many I wanted...

"We don't have them" he says "There's only 4 in the country..!"

"I'll take them then" says I..

I find it incredible that A) They don't stock them and B) Neither do anyone else considering this following info http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com/p/BMW_2014_F800/Fillister-head-screw-M5X14/42776144/46637657650.html

FILLISTER HEAD SCREW
Part Number: 46637657650
M5X14
This product fits 169 vehicle variants.
BMW: 7 models, 169 variants between 2001 and 2016

I must have had the last 6 then lol !

I replaced all mine with Pro-Bolt Ali ones...but they turn to cheese too. Think buying the TI set is the only way forwards!

- Sent from Mobile

I thought the oe ones were aluminium, are we talking about the fairing screws here?

That's the ones, fairing, tank cover side panels etc.. Yes they are ally, my mistake, I just checked.

GD

Ok cool. I was doubting myself. I replaced all the alu ones on my bike with ti from pro bolt for the strength benefit, had a few alu ones snap over the years and it's a pita to sort out.

So I must be the largest stockist of oe alu fairing bolts in the country lol :).

I was looking into pro bolts purely for cosmetic reasons, blue for the fairing and gold for the unsprung. Can someone explain the difference between the titanium and aluminium ones from a strength and longevity point of view. The aluminium are lighter and cheaper and the titanium ones are four times the price. Do the aluminium ones heads strip etc. Are there any other better alternatives?

The ti bolts are stronger and don't oxidise. The alu bolts are naturally softer and tend to tarnish/dull over time.

Pro-bolt use a hex/allen bolt and only a 3-4mm one at that from memory. This means there's not a lot of support for torque loads with stiff bolts with the Ali one. You're best to stick some anti seize compound on the threads for sure. The Titanium are the same design but can obviously withstand more force due to the material.

That's the ones, fairing, tank cover side panels etc.. Yes they are ally, my mistake, I just checked.

GD

Hi GD, mine were A2 Stainless all over the bike from new, I changed to Probolt just for looks but they are Ali and very easy to chew up.

My GSA was the same but I went mad last year and changed virtually all the bolts I could see with A4 Stainless Allen heads.

Very smart to put anti seize on all bolts that are suitable as Alex stated.

JimmyMac

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back