The Sump Issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hi,

I've only just bought my bike but have noted the sump and switchgear concerns around repeated failures.

After a search, I'm left wondering, has anyone made an aftermarket sump which does not corrode?
If not would taking it off & coating it in HighTemp paint work well enough as a barrier? I don't want to change the thermal rejection properties of the sump...so figure anything too thick will be a no no, not sure how thick a powder coating is...

Thoughts

Cheers

Just a thought....
my bike is currently having a new sump fitted FOC while its in for the 18k service, bmw offered this, i didnt even ask for it.

My thought is, would they be as forthcoming with the free replacement and covering labour if i had 'tampered' with the sump in any way? (i.e. high temp paint) or would they try and use this to pass the cost onto me?!

Bahnstormer suggested I might use ACF50 when they replaced my third sump on the 18k service.
I'm up to 22k and have booked it in for a 24k in about 5 weeks, and have pre-ordered a sump with them as I am sure it will need replacing.

I've taken to hosing the sump down in WD40 or ACF50 (whatever is on the shelf) when I come back and there's been any wet roads.

Welcome to 1976 :rolleyes-new:

All this seems to need more work than should be the case.
Someone needs to make a straight ali version or some other composite!

I'll talk to the local dealership LIND and see what they will or won't honour...I've got a years warranty with the 2012 I just picked up.

There is another thread on this with more info about what bmw will do out of warranty

Think it's not likely someone will make an upgrade as long as BMW are replacing them free. Also, no avenue for a 'racing' upgrade as the sump needs to be the homologated one for everything other than motoGP, as I read the rules. That's the reason it's made of self destructing magnesium on the road bike in the first place...

What are the sumps for other manufacturers homologated bikes made of that stops them corroding? I.e Kawasaki, Ducati and Honda?

Back