Textiles or Leathers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
So, tomorrow I'm finally off on the Brno trip that I've found every opportunity to mention, however theres 1 question I still have - Textiles or Leathers?

The weather report is 'mixed' to say the least - some rain with 30+ degree temp at various points along the way. I have the choice of 1 piece or 2 piece leathers with a waterproof oversuit or a set of oxford textiles (zip together, but only a 9" section 'round the back).

Having never travelled out of this country on a bike, and certainly never covered the 1200 miles each way in a single (1 over night stop) stint - I'm intrigued as to what the general opinion would be ..

As far as I can see, leathers look & feel good to ride in, but are sweaty when the sun comes out and as I recently found out, dont know the meaning of the phrase 'water proof'. I like the idea of pockets too - textiles seem to win on this point as well. Abrasion resistance is (as far as I can tell) the only real let down - that and I look like mitchelin man.

Ta.

Textiles for touring,leathers for hooring lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always leathers for me. 2 piece for commuting/touring (with rain suit stowed away), 1 piece for more committed days [emoji846]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

In my experience, textiles are only waterproof if you haven't been riding in heavy rain long enough for the water to seep through. Then they just hold the water in (as demonstrated riding back from Essex to Reading this afternoon).

Perforated 2-piece leathers (preferably kangaroo), and a one-piece over-suit for the win on long journeys with the possibility of much rain. And a spare pair of gloves.

I wear the laminated rukka kit and it is waterproof. Lots of miles in lots of weather. Helmet and gloves are my only headache when it gets wet.

Went to Lemans earlier in the year.
Rain and sunshine in equal measures
Leathers and good waterproofs for me.
Fancy the Brno trip interested to here how you get on

+1 for Rukka , commuted in my current kit year round for 3 years including tours & never let me down. Been through some truly torrential stuff.
It's a little heavy & slightly hot in the really hot stuff but I can live with that for the positives.

I used to do the leathers/overs combo but it was just another thing to manage on a daily basis / on tour ( I recently went to Scotland for 5 days , where there seems to be 4 seasons in an hour - every hour).
Put my textiles on & switch off.
Agreed, they don't look as cool as leathers, but IMO when it rains, neither does the all in one condom used over leathers.
And if said condom is not a snug enough - the flapping - don't even mention the flapping ( and trying to put them on slightly wet leathers at the side of the road)

Red weather warning over central and southern europe this week, mid 40Cs, danger to life etc. So FS will either have very sweaty bollocks, or very very sweaty bollocks lol.

Back