Switzerland - Are the police as strict as i've heard on bikers?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks....i'm planning a bike trip to The Alps soon! (Switzerland/Austria/Italy). I've heard that the Swiss police are really strict with bikers when i comes to loud exhausts etc?? Are they really that bad and should i be equally worried about Austria/Italy too?

I'm thinking of putting the stock exhaust back on my '17 for the trip but it's so damn quiet! (anyone wanna rip the baffles out for me?!) I'd prefer to keep my Pro-Race exhaust on...it's not crazy loud but I just wanna avoid heavy fines etc if poss??

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers :)

I've not been Switzerland but been the other 2 and had no problems. My mate got done for speeding in Austria on the spot fine. Copper said we can go station or sort it at road side he opted for road side bung

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great roads look at Furka susten pass area. Not had any problems with noise - but if you do get caught for speeding can be a bit steep my mates got done ?400 for 100mph in a 50 on the simplon pass

Great roads look at Furka susten pass area. Not had any problems with noise - but if you do get caught for speeding can be a bit steep my mates got done ?400 for 100mph in a 50 on the simplon pass
I wouldn't class that as steep over here you'd be looking at a Ban and a much larger fine

I'd take a ?400 fine for 100mph any day of the week over a year ban, You'd be at least double the cost of the fine if you had to get the lawyers involved and even then your not definitely getting away with it, more than likely a heavy fine, 9 points and the lawyers fees!

Hello Cavey, I toured all 3 countries a few years ago on a fireblade, had no issue from the police, pretty sure I had a race can on at the time. Great roads in Italy and Austria, 50mph limit on most roads in Switzerland, which we kept to fairly strictly to avoid upsetting the old bill. Enjoy.

I've found that like most things in life, riding everywhere in Europe the 'don't be a d**k' rule applies. If you're riding like a d**k, they WILL pull you and fine you on the spot. Sometimes a very large sum. Never had an issue with exhausts, plate size, visors etc.

Never been pulled over in Switzerland so can't comment as to how strict they are but have had experience in the other countries you mention, in the last few years we've had;

?300 fine in Spain for speeding (85mph in a 90km/h national speed limit zone)

?100 fine in Austria for 'making chicane' as the policeman called it. Basically weaving side to side whilst riding along in town, not sure if the rider thought he'd better keep the heat in his tyres for a fast lap of the Stelvio or what ?!?

?100 fine in Germany for crossing solid white lines whilst overtaking a bus. Could have been worse but copper recognised that the overtake began before white lines became solid.

On another trip, which I wasn't on, one of the lads I know was nailed for speeding in France and had his passport confiscated and bike impounded until trial! Not ridiculous speeds, certainly not over 100mph as he's just not like that, was on his R1200RS. He had to pay for a hotel to stay in the area until a judge heard the case. I can't remember the exact fine but I know it was over ?1000, plus storage costs, plus hotel.....

On the other hand, I've had lots of good experiences with the law over there. 2 of us were nabbed speeding in the Dolomites, 3rd lad turns up whilst they're checking papers and we're trying not to fail the 'ar**hole' test. The 2 Italian coppers lost all interest in us and just wanted to check out his brand new Panigale 'Ah! You like Ducati?'. After that we were let off with a stern talking to and waved on our way.

My father in law got caught on a 'motorcycle prohibited' road in Germany and whilst he was pleading ignorance it turned out the copper was a keen motorcyclist too. 'This road is forbidden for motorcycles, too many accidents. You must leave this road at the next junction, to the left, and it will take you a different route to your destination.....on second thoughts.....take the second road on the left a few km further on. It goes to the same town, but is a MUCH better road :)'

Last edited:
I have sent rocroc a PM as he lives out there and should be able to give up some facts on this. :)

Cheers guys... great responses ....Soof, would be great if your mate over there could share his thoughts! ;)

I've been through Switzerland a couple of times car and bike, and am yet to see a police man other that near the borders,
just ride sensibly and keep your eyes peeled.

33596418470_112f1b8728_h.jpg

Friends

Let me first say that riding in Switzerland is fantastic... if you know where and when. It's not a country of highspeed lines (for that we have the German Autobahn and sure some tracks nearbay to let flutter the face skin...).

I'm riding since more than 30 years with speed limits in settlements 50 km/h, out of settlements 80 km/h, freeway 120 km/h (there is no special offer for speeding tickets if you aren't Swiss). I got no tickets the last 10 years (ok, with the car one or two, but only marginally exceeded). Why no tickets?

I'm only fast on lonely trafficfree roads (no people around, no other people in danger, never in settlements) and I know a lot of fantastic lonely twisting roads. But the best of all is: We have a lot of beautiful gentle bends and steeps curves with excellent surface, made for low and mid speed in a remarkable lean angle ;-). That's what we do: Twisties. Not to fast, but near the ground (wheels still turning ;-)).

19707321219_3db10ba739_h.jpg

Exhaust: To loud because you've manipulated it is bad. To loud but legal with homologation papers (like a S1000RR with legal Remus Hypercone) is no problem. Switzerland has Euro 3 & 4 like Germany and others. I ride a Panigale 1299S, a Monster 1200S with Remus, the S1000RR with Remus: Never a problem with homologation papers or ABE/EG numbers. Sure: If I'am standing on a red light in the middle of the night, playing with the throttle, nobody wants to see the papers before arresting me... ;-).

Swiss cops are gentle. Be gentle too.

In a nutshell: Fantastic scenery, choose a good route, settlements/towns: slow down, no "specials" on your bike (50? angle license plate or so). It would be the best to have a local guide, but that's always like this.

TL;DR don't be a dick and you'll be fine. Take RocRoc for a beer. [emoji6][emoji2]

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Thanks rocroc, appreciate you putting that up. You lucky lucky man living there!!!!!

Ive done all 3 with a loud can on my blade and had no problems... the Furka Passe is amazing.. we were pulled in Davos but as we were going the wrong way on a one way system they were within their rights. Let me know how you get on. I just booked our ferry tickets today. 23rd july starting at Rotterdam 1st stop luxembourg next stop The Ex Bar in Davos lol...cant wait. If you go to Davos go there its a great boozer with excellent grub mate..

Stu

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Stuart I stayed in the hotel Parsenn in Davos when I rode over there. Me and my pal were the only two there and the chef let me make fried eggs in the kitchen for breakfast, he was pissing himself as he thought I sounded like Gordon Ramsey and insisted that I told him to F@(K off, lol

If I remember right there was a big guitar island in a pond out the back.

Fantastic roads for a bike, Rocroc you are indeed blessed.

JimmyMac

Stuart I stayed in the hotel Parsenn in Davos when I rode over there. Me and my pal were the only two there and the chef let me make fried eggs in the kitchen for breakfast, he was pissing himself as he thought I sounded like Gordon Ramsey and insisted that I told him to F@(K off, lol

If I remember right there was a big guitar island in a pond out the back.

Fantastic roads for a bike, Rocroc you are indeed blessed.

JimmyMac
Davos is lovely Jimmy.. haha. You can cook holy shit..letting you loose in a kitchen is asking for trouble..did you tell him to **** off when he complained about the dozen eggs and half pound of bacon you fired onto the grill lolol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back