Strange noise from the rear wheel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisH

Reaction score
Had my first real spirited run with the coding plug installed, got home and noticed a strange rubbing noise from the rear wheel almost like there was something trapped between the hugger and the tyre (which there wasn't and I've checked every where else). Noise only apparent at a certain point in the revolution of the wheel and only for about 1/4 of a turn. Difficult to pinpoint it but sounds like its coming from the rear disk or possibly the ABS sensor ring. Spun the wheel a few times and dabbed the brake, but the noise still there and at the same point of the revolution of the wheel.

I do use the rear brake a bit but I can't imagine I've warped a disk already. Anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd check the abs sensor isn't getting snagged by an abs disc out of true. The ABS ring will probably have signs of contact.

Rear Wheel

Remove the rear wheel and check the spacers, sensor ring and rear brake disc.

Mine was doing it when I pushed it into the garege, like a rubbing noise.

Turned out to be the rear caliper but nothing to worrie about.

Do you feel or hear anything when you are actually riding Chris or just when pushing the bike or turning the wheel?

When pushing the HP4 in and out of the garage my discs rub slightly and my GSA sounds like it is ready to seize or explode when I rotate the rear wheel on a stand. Can't hear or feel either when on the bike with my iPod in so I don't really dwell on it.
Maybe just bedding in but I've never heard of anything sinister going on with the S1000rr.

Keep us updated with the source.

JimmyMac

Thanks Jimmy, I thought I heard something when I was entering a roundabout at very low speed but I can't be sure. I can't say there was anything different in handling etc but bear in mind this bike is very new to me and this was the first trip in usermode and so it was very lively!

The noise was very apparent when I was manoeuvring it with the engine off in the same way as I've alway done.

I know the sound disks make when they slightly rub on a car, but this is different. I tend to lube the chain when its hot after a ride and spin up the wheel with my hand and all I've heard in the past is the usual noise of the chain so again this is different and my mate, who I was riding with, was quite surprised at the noise. I've just checked it again and it's still making the noise at the same point. There appears to be no play in the wheel bearings.

I don't need to use the bike and won't do so until the dealer checks it, out but because of work commitments etc thats going to takes some considerable time to organise. I know I'm not going to enjoy the journey to the dealer though! I had a friend who several years ago had a rear brake seize on a Pan European Honda that didn't end very well.

Thanks for all your help and ideas - I'll post the outcome

C

hi chris I had a strange noise from my rear wheel it turned out to be dry cush drive which the dealer sorted by spaying them with a lube

Back