Slack??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but can't find it on the iPhone...anyway, for the chain, the manual States 45-50mm of "play." To me this is quite slack. Mines sitting at 45 but it's quite disconcerting to look at as it does look to be hanging like the proverbial wizards sleeve.
Anyone else think this? What is their reasoning for having such a high amount of play?

On my 13 model I found that if the slack was measured ' very firmly' by pushing hard up, then hard down, then adjusted to 40mm, the chain seems just right to the eye and seems fine with no significant wear to sprockets or chain after 8k miles.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been discussed on here before, but can't find it on the iPhone...anyway, for the chain, the manual States 45-50mm of "play." To me this is quite slack. Mines sitting at 45 but it's quite disconcerting to look at as it does look to be hanging like the proverbial wizards sleeve.
Anyone else think this? What is their reasoning for having such a high amount of play?

Hey Steve.....hope ya well mate? I agree...my bike was delivered with a ton of slack which got worse as i ran the bike in (baggy wizard @ 60mm??!!). I asked the dealer to tighten it up to 40mm on 600mile service and the bike now picks up much smoother ;-)

I think you will find that the amount of slack is dependent on swingarm pivot and gearbox final drive centre point.
During suspension movement the wheel/sprocket moves in an arc,so at its central point the chain will be at its tightest.

Thanks guys.

as said, mine is at 40mm after its first. Service so will monitor to see if it gets any more slack.

Back