Silverstone 30th July 2018

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw quite a few S1000RRs yesterday, perhaps because a BMW Motorrad day was running in parallel.

Was my first time a Silverstone: found it a bit confusing at first with multiple 'false friend' landmarks (e.g. Runoff that looks like track (old runway)). But got it more or less the end with some good instruction. Will definitely go back again.

Last edited:
Glad you had a great day. I enjoyed my first time there too.

Did you use the coned chicane green piece onto the hanger straight? Took me ages to get that right.

Same with the left at the end of the Wellington straight.

- Alex

Hi Alex. Yes,had a great day. Track was a bit damp to start due to early morning rain, but this dried up and it rain stayed away all day. Had a couple of people making cheeky inside passes (one within about 3 inches), but otherwise all good.

The coned chicane was one of the tricky ?false friends?, had to force myself to look round the green bit and not at the cones or down the straight. By the end of the day I was getting it right.

Looking forward to BMW day at Snetterton next week.

Last edited:
Yup, i was there. My first time as well and i missed the first session as the track was damp in places no slicks were allowed - but after that it was great day.

Lots of run off and very wide as well so could get past a lot of traffic when they gathered up. There's a lot to learn so look forward to getting back there and im considering the BMW experience with Steve Brogan.

Last edited:
Can I get more info on the bmw experience day please

I can?t speak directly about all the details the BMW day, as I haven?t done one, but one was running when I did Silverstone with FE.

The BMW day was running in parallel with the standard FE trackday, with the BMW day riders going out in the appropriate of the 3 trackday groups (novice, intermediate,advanced). The main difference is that instruction is included in the BMW day usually by a ?star rider?, whereas inthe standard trackday you pay extra for an instructor.

The link Ryan posted explains what else you get. In the standard trackday there were 6 sessions + 1 led sighting session,whereas in the BMW day it looks like there are 5 ? so some of the classroom work is in place of a track session.

If you haven?t done many trackdays I would definitely recommend tuition (BMW day or as an extra).

I opted for the standard trackday (?179) plus 1 to 1 tuition in each session (?130) which cost slightly less than the BMW day. I guess you have to weigh up whether theextras you get with the BMW day are worth an extra ?50 and one less track session.

I can?t speak directly about all the details the BMW day, as I haven?t done one, but one was running when I did Silverstone with FE.

The BMW day was running in parallel with the standard FE trackday, with the BMW day riders going out in the appropriate of the 3 trackday groups (novice, intermediate,advanced). The main difference is that instruction is included in the BMW day usually by a ?star rider?, whereas inthe standard trackday you pay extra for an instructor.

The link Ryan posted explains what else you get. In the standard trackday there were 6 sessions + 1 led sighting session,whereas in the BMW day it looks like there are 5 ? so some of the classroom work is in place of a track session.

If you haven?t done many trackdays I would definitely recommend tuition (BMW day or as an extra).

I opted for the standard trackday (?179) plus 1 to 1 tuition in each session (?130) which cost slightly less than the BMW day. I guess you have to weigh up whether theextras you get with the BMW day are worth an extra ?50 and one less track session.

Repost with visible font

Latest posts

Back