SatNav advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
I'm doing the Brno run in August and trying to gear myself up with some offerings from forum members (? being the only sticking point, cos I'm on an artificially imposed budget) and will need a sat nav to sit on my gen 3.

I was looking at this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMTOM-RI...PS-/112076400089?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Can anyone tell me if it's:
a) easy to attach to an S1000RR
b) easy to wire up to draw power from the bike
i)how to provide a phone charger as well as the sat nav power
c) any anti-theft options
d) any other relevant & useful info

Mucho appreciated-o

Why not just use your phone for satnav if you on a budget? Only need to power 1 item and easily removed when you stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont want to use a phone if possible - data charges, weatherproof(ness), bike mount problems and they're not usually glove friendly.

I use my iPhone 6 with an ultimate addons case,stem mounted on a telferizer,totally waterproof. Copilot satnav app and no data charges. It even worked with my RST outlast gloves which was a bonus as I didn't think it would.

I'm not that lucky - I get about 500MB/month whilst roaming data-wise, although I'm on a business tariff with 50G of data whilst in the UK - really pisses me off. The extra few quid per day for a gig or 2 of bandwidth would make best financial sense, as I'd only really incur charges on the way there, and then on the way back - a tenner or 2 maybe. But then I have to buy the case, a mount, the satnav app (or just use google - google always seemed fine to me).

I'd still prefer a proper sat nav - but ta for the info on the mobile option.

Sorry,meant no data charges using copilot. All maps downloaded at home and works in no signal areas.

a) easy to attach to an S1000RR

As Ross says, Telferizer RAM mount (25mm ball)

b) easy to wire up to draw power from the bike

Need a BMW plug which plugs into a socket under the left hand fairing (Gen3 only). There are 2 sockets, cable-tied together. The plug fits one, but not the other. Connect it to the one that fits. Plenty of info on this forum, and elsewhere, but it has 3 wires - switched 12V, ground and you don't need the other. Some of the guides have the 12V and ground the wrong way around - use a multimeter to work out which is which.

i)how to provide a phone charger as well as the sat nav power

What happened to c, d, e, f, g &h?
Get a USB power bank. Or split the feed from the BMW plug and hope it doesn't trip out, or buy/build a circuit with a relay.

c) any anti-theft options

Take it with you (other than the Telferizer mount) when you leave the bike unattended

d) any other relevant & useful info

Lots of information here

Thanks andy. Wiring info sound useful, and the mount option is good to be seconded.

The i was the roman numeral for 1 normally used in indentations .. in word anyway �� like i) ii) an all that. But I think you were pulling my leg a bit on that.

The link to google was useful too - makes me wonder why people actually ask anyone anything these days, when you can spend 200 hours ploughing through all the horsesh17 that is outdated, wrong and irrelevant. There is a better site you can use next time btw. https://lmgtfy.com/ much more smile provoking.

I use my iPhone 6 with an ultimate addons case,stem mounted on a telferizer,totally waterproof. Copilot satnav app and no data charges. It even worked with my RST outlast gloves which was a bonus as I didn't think it would.

+1 This is exactly my setup with the addition of ultimate addons power supply. Works a treat.

I've just done the same mate but I bought the 400 Tom Tom for my trip. As for attaching it to the bike I decided to buy the ram stem mount as the one that came with the nav I didn't like.. The ram stem mount has only turned up today so I will be fitting tomorrow.
I bought the power connecting plug off Stephen on here and it connects into the right hand side above the horn no problems. If you want some pic's I can send some when I'm on with it tomorrow?

Any and all help is more than welcome - I'm nervous about touching this highly strung machine especially as its about out of warranty, so any step by step destructions would be happily accepted.

I'm intruiged by the power connector - Andy (above) said left hand side, you're saying right hand side - is that just a case of perspective? i.e. right hand side as you sit on the bike, compared to left hand side as you look at it from the front? I guess the pictures will tell all :)

[email protected] is me - thanks in advance.

No probs I'll send over some pic's tomorrow. As for connectors yeah i had the same trouble but Stephen was awesome in walking me through it. As you sit on the bike it's the right hand side. Beep ya horn and you can't miss it. Lol
You just have to loosen/remove fairing and it's sitting there. Simples as they say! [emoji4]

I got a plug off Stephen last week for my hp4 that powers my garmin cradle off the battery but is switched by the ecu. Doesn't drain and isn't interfered with by the canbus. Terminated to the battery, with a cable to the plug next to the horn on my bike and then to the cradle. Simple job to do and works as it should.

I've just found Stephens cable thread and hopefully alerted him to the fact that I'm after a cable. I reckon a setup like yours with a fag lighter adaptor or weatherproof usb (preferred) would be ideal.

I've just found Stephens cable thread and hopefully alerted him to the fact that I'm after a cable. I reckon a setup like yours with a fag lighter adaptor or weatherproof usb (preferred) would be ideal.

I've been meaning to post about it this, I'm going to start offering custom accessory wires for whatever people need...been busy leading up to Easter.

I'll start a thread tomorrow... watch this space :)

I have contacted Telferizer to order the stem mount. I am also looking to buy a ultimate add ons waterproof case for iPhone 7
Did you order the normal 25mm mount? What about the case mounts? did you order one to make the case sit higher?
I have a BMW tank bag so was wondering if I need to lift the case up a bit
advice appreciated

Check website http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ for cases and arms to mount on. I've got a wunderlich tankbag and standard arm fits fine. Phone only just touches bag on full lock and sits nicely just below clocks so all are visible. I'll measure length of arm let you know shortly.

ee44dfdd46589664b9488c80e71bab33.jpg

The arm I'm using is 3 inches long. I'd prob be ok using a 4" arm without blocking clocks but no longer. All mounts are for 25mm/1" ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back