S1000RR v RSV4 v V4R v SMC690R

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikeracer1098

Reaction score
Had a S1000RR on order last year but decided to buy a HP4 Race instead.

Wasnt going to buy another Road Bike until next year, however with the sunny weather along with my 17 year old lad now having a KTM 125 I?m tempted to possibly buy one sooner prior to the end of the summer.

Been looking at a new 2019 Aprilia RSV Factory for ?16k instead of ?21k, along with the Ducati V4R as well as the S1000RR.

Throwing in a curve ball I?m going to test ride an KTM SMC 690 R Supermoto tomorrow, something totally different.

I test rode a KTM Superduke 1290 R a few weeks ago, great Bike but couldn?t justify ?15,500 on a naked bike.

Would really appreciate your thought and advice,

For the road only or road and track?
I wouldn't be looking at most of them for the road...

My only suggestion is to ride them. I've always liked the idea of a V4 and rode one last year. The engine is just addictive. I went for another test ride a week ago on the V4 as it's always been lurking in my thoughts. This time I knew the attractiveness of the engine so was able to be a little more informed. I returned it after 45 minutes, I had it for 60. On the road it's just too uncomfortable for me. The seat is higher and forces me more forward so wrists have extra pressure on them plus I had a back op a few years ago so bending over/down further is not ideal. I'm 6'1 for reference. The two other noticeable elements were it's a very hard ride on roads, even in softer settings. And finally, you get very hot on it as the heat radiates directly from the engine on to your mid regions. And I do mean very hot. Being stationary is uncomfortable. Personally I'm a little gutted, but glad I had the second ride so impulsive decisions didn't occur especially as the engine will have you smitten. I haven't tried the RSV as everything I've read says it's too small for me. Hope some of this helps

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Thanks, havebt yet riden the V4.
The RSV4 Factory is absolutely awesome, sounds fantastic only disadvantage is the front end looks so dated. Also owned an RSV4 RF for 3 years, feels very similar but better.
Also the sound is absolutely awesome.
Being 5?9? it fits me perfectly.

Last edited:
My other bike is the Super Duke 1290 GT and there are some bargains out there, especially pre-2019! It doesn't have the LED headlight or the down blipper (it does have quickshifter) but the engine is the same and, as most updates are electronic, it has the same suspension updates as the new version.

Was out on it today (road testing some exhaust work) and genuinely don't know which I prefer, the S1000RR or the KTM. Both are stunningly powerful but give very different rides. The GT does loaded up continental travel nicely, but also flings around the country lanes very easily. Oh, and I'm 5'9 so it's not too tall.

Funny I was looking at a KTM 1290 SuperDuke R but once you?ve added essentials like quickshifter, Track Pack i.e allows it to wheelie etc, you in for the same amount of money as a Gen 4 S1000RR which is ludicrous. I just wish I had the money for both. ;)

You certainly wouldn?t want a V4R for the road.... Way too extreme in engine and chassis. IMHO

Last edited:
Funny I was looking at a KTM 1290 SuperDuke R but once you
?ve added essentials like quickshifter, Track Pack i.e allows it to wheelie etc, you in for the same amount of money as a Gen 4 S1000RR which is ludicrous. I just wish I had the money for both. ;)

You certainly wouldn?t want a V4R for the road.... Way too extreme in engine and chassis. IMHO

That was exactly my view of the Superduke R, however a dealer has now offered me a new 2020 model for ?13,999 instead of ?15,700 which is heading in the right direction. I think the trackpack is around ?800.

However as you said can get a std gen 4 S1000RR for ?15,999. Now available from some dealers with ?1000 discount.

Not sure if I agree that the V4R is too extreme for the Road, used to occasionally ride my Desmosedici on the road which I loved.

Really excited to test ride the SMC690R Supermoto, that should wheelie well ??

That was exactly my view of the Superduke R, however a dealer has now offered me a new 2020 model for ?13,999 instead of ?15,700 which is heading in the right direction. I think the trackpack is around ?800.

However as you said can get a std gen 4 S1000RR for ?15,999. Now available from some dealers with ?1000 discount.

Not sure if I agree that the V4R is too extreme for the Road, used to occasionally ride my Desmosedici on the road which I loved.

Really excited to test ride the SMC690R Supermoto, that should wheelie well ??
I know a mate who tried riding V4R on road, he said it was too much. His opinion you end up battling with the motorbike. He has Msport as, and reckons it's much more pleasant experience on roads.

If I ever get v4r, it will be track only for sure.

I had a V4, good bike, violently fast, would I have it over the Msport for the road, no, not a chance, there is no comparison as a road bike. S1000rr beats it hands down as a road bike and I do mean in every respect.
As a track toy both are very good, all comes down to preference really.

Daz

Had a test ride of the KTM SMC690R this morning, loved it around town and up to 60mph.
However seemed to hit a brick wall in 6th gear at around 80mph.
Great as a second Bike bit as I havebt currently got a Road Bike, think the novelty may wear thin after a few weeks.
Probably better off Road registering one of my Motocross bikes and buying a set of Supermoto wheels.

Got offered a great deal on a new S1000RR Motorsport this morning, may pull the trigger tomorrow morning.

Had a test ride of the KTM SMC690R this morning, loved it around town and up to 60mph.
However seemed to hit a brick wall in 6th gear at around 80mph.
Great as a second Bike bit as I havebt currently got a Road Bike, think the novelty may wear thin after a few weeks.
Probably better off Road registering one of my Motocross bikes and buying a set of Supermoto wheels.

Got offered a great deal on a new S1000RR Motorsport this morning, may pull the trigger tomorrow morning.

I flogged my MX bike and got a KTM 300 TPI 6 Days for dicking about on in the lanes / green lanes - blimey it?s good, so good it makes me wonder if my M Sport will get used. The M?s head and shoulders the best road bike I?ve had, maybe lacks some of the character of the Vees but works superbly across all fronts.

I flogged my MX bike and got a KTM 300 TPI 6 Days for dicking about on in the lanes / green lanes - blimey it?s good, so good it makes me wonder if my M Sport will get used. The M?s head and shoulders the best road bike I?ve had, maybe lacks some of the character of the Vees but works superbly across all fronts.

Yes the KTM 300cc 2 stroke is a brilliant Bike.
Ridden my mates at MX track on a number of occassions.
My mate buys a new one every year, can?t belive they are now ?9299 though for an enduro Bike.

If I understand it correctly, you've got an HP4 for the track, so it's highly unlikely you'd need another bike for those duties.

Your son has a 125 so anything you have will blast past him and leave him struggling - I can imagine the overtakes he'll have to make to keep up with you as you 'pootle along'.

Why not get a KTM 390 for riding with him? He can then graduate to that when he's done his time in purgatory, and you can 'upgrade' using his 125 as collateral when the time comes.

Latest posts

Back