S1000 RR Mode Settings.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you Andy. Like I said, I'm not quite sure whether it's the anti wheelie or the traction control, but in race mode, power wheelies seem to be near on impossible for me.

Ive only ever had the rear end step out on mine in race mode twice. Now if I was expecting it, or was a confident enough rider (racing on a track) this wouldn't of been a problem, but when it happened I can hand on heart say a turtle head was on show. When I think about it now, I think, I bet that look awesome, love to do it again. But in reality and all honesty, I would not. Haha. It happened on full lean, coming out of a corner with some acceleration. I don't ride around in sport so couldn't comment on that.

I agree with you Andy. Like I said, I'm not quite sure whether it's the anti wheelie or the traction control, but in race mode, power wheelies seem to be near on impossible for me.

The anti wheelie is the traction control. They run on same electronic system.

Bike has a Bosch lean angle sensor, this detects bike is going upright, DTC detects different wheel speed and then cuts power.

Kind thanks for all of your replies. I thought when I posted the question there would be a barrage of read the manual or are you stupid. However it's shows that between 2011 - 2014 models there are many interpretations of how the electronics work. One reply states he can wheelie all day long and others say power cuts on the lift. The manual said 5 seconds before throttle cuts.
The reason I asked the question is.............
my previous bike was a ZZR1400 of which was very fast but handles like a bag of sh!t in bends on a Sunday morning when you are out with the lads on their gixxers blades etc. On the straight would be catch up but only to back down at the bends.
I purchased a new S1000RR a couple of month ago and yes a very different animal. My confidence is spiralling out of control which has lead me to the question of what and how the DTC etc works because I seem to have no fear in bends anymore which could lead me to a bad place one day. In my mind it's don't worry it's got traction control. It will be ok. Lol. (Before you say it I'm aware DTC is worth nothing If the car etc pulls out while you have your knee down).
Has anybody experienced these bikes sliding in Sport mode in normal conditions and not on diesel etc?
i look forward to the replays.
Kind thanks
Barry.

sport mode in my opinion is a bit dangerous I've tried playing about with it a bit in past, I tried to over take a car on a straight, road surface was bumpy front wheel was hovering next thing I know power was being cut and the bike being held back, I was asking for the power and it simply would not deliver what I wanted!! as for sliding, yes I noticed it once or twice in sport on very could tyres, but in my opinion it's not the sliding you want to be worried about it's the sudden traction control and grip which will spit you off!!!

just a thought if the 12 onwards is that much better can this not be a upgrade for 10 and 11 models, is it just a software upgrade or is hardware different?

I've asked this Andy to dealer and BMW Germany, both told me its not doable. I asked dealer if 11 ecu could be updated, asked Germany if a 12 ecu could be put in an 11 bike.

Wasn't given a reason but answer was no to both.

Dealer surmised that maybe the difference in rake and wheelbase could be the reason

Where did you get this chart from? It's wrong, there is anti wheelie in race mode, unless you press the DTC button to de-activate it. This is clearly stated in the bikes manual too.

Where did you get this chart from? It's wrong, there is anti wheelie in race mode, unless you press the DTC button to de-activate it. This is clearly stated in the bikes manual too.

The chart was passed on to me by local dealer, where they got it from no idea.

Hi.
Ive got a track day booked at Snetterton this Thursday (weather depending) for one of their all road legal days. I done a couple of these before but this will be the first time on the Beamer.
Since I have owned the bike I have only ever ridden it it sport mode However the track will be the first time since I have owned it where the bike is going to be pushed to limits I have not taken it too yet.
Race Mode? Sport Mode? Which would be best?
i don't have the balls or ability to try the slick mode just yet. Lol.
Has anyone else taken it on the track and can offer any advise on which mode would suit best on the standard BT016 tyres.
I not worried about Rain mode as in my little world Rain and the bike will have the same consequences as Drink and Drugs. Lol. I'm a fair weather Man. RAIN stops play for me.
Regards
barry

Hi.
Ive got a track day booked at Snetterton this Thursday (weather depending) for one of their all road legal days. I done a couple of these before but this will be the first time on the Beamer.
Since I have owned the bike I have only ever ridden it it sport mode However the track will be the first time since I have owned it where the bike is going to be pushed to limits I have not taken it too yet.
Has anyone else taken it on the track and can offer any advise on which mode would suit best on the standard BT016 tyres.
I not worried about Rain mode as in my little world Rain and the bike will have the same consequences as Drink and Drugs. Lol. I'm a fair weather Man. RAIN stops play for me.
Regards
barry

Hi Barry, go for race mode. It will improve the throttle action and as snetterton has a great surface and long fast corners, it'll give you a little bit more control. I was there earlier in the year and it was fantastic, my favourite uk circuit at the moment.

+1 with Soof Barry and maybe consider trying race mode on the road too as there is still plenty of traction control to help you out. I guarantee once you've tried race mode you almost certainly won't go back to sport as the throttle response is so much nicer in race.

Kind thanks for your comments of advice.
Race mode it is then. I have noticed in sport Mode the throttle does appear to be a little un responsive sometimes but have stayed in sport Mode as when I purchased the bike they recommended leaving it in this mode.
Im pleased to hear that Race Mode still has traction control.
Once again kind thanks.
Barry.

Don't be afraid to experiment on the road and try slick, it's your right hand which controls the speed, not the bike. Slick mode still has traction control, just comes in a bit later and isn't so abrupt. Try finding a small patch of gravel, ride through it slowly, upright, and crack the throttle, u'll see the differences between each mode. Ok so it's not the same as losing the rear exiting a corner while banked over at speed but still interesting.

Try finding a small patch of gravel, ride through it slowly, upright, and crack the throttle, u'll see the differences between each mode. Ok so it's not the same as losing the rear exiting a corner while banked over at speed but still interesting.

Right do not do this in slick mode! With the bike upright in slick mode it does not stop the rear spinning.

get it in slick mode, in my opinion it transforms the bike!! yes it will wheelie a lot more but no more than any of the other latest 1000cc bikes I've ridden, I used to ride in race mostly but been is slick through out the summer execept when I got caught in rain last week! once you used to riding in slick and go back to race you really notice how intrusive the dtc etc is, don't know if I'm just a bit out of practice or out of shape but the first few times I rode in slick I could physically feel more tired / aching from riding, it's a whole lot of fun though!!

Right do not do this in slick mode! With the bike upright in slick mode it does not stop the rear spinning.

Mine does, was doing this yesterday through narrow country roads. Maybe the different years work differently?

Hi.
Regards
barry

Did you go to Snett and if so how did you get on?

Latest posts

Back