Replacing a clutch switch

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
Anyone fitted a Brembo clutch perch before and connected the clutch switch up?

Stripped the existing one off yesterday and am just planning in advance for wiring up the brembo one, naturally the two wires on each clutch switch are completely different colours.

Green and grey on the bike loom and brown and purple on the brembo switch!

I'm not an electrician by any means but i don't want to short anything with my bobble hat ham fistedness :glee:

:witless:Been thinking about this today whilst i was supposed to be working :wink-new:

Given that this is a track bike it is going on and the likelihood of me needing to start the bime in gear is slim to none, couldn't the existing switch just be left disconnected? In which case the bike will only ever be able to start in neutral anyway??

It would save having to tap into the wiring full stop :stupid:

The switch is for the quickshifter too... have you considered that?

- Sent from Mobile

Then it stays! :welcoming:

I'll soon know if I have the right wires connected then when the shifter doesn't work!

Bit of an update on this, and on the back of having spoken to a BMW tech.

The whole principal of wiring a 2 wire clutch switch up on a DC circuit is indeed very simple in so much as it does not make any difference which way round the wires are connected however..........

There is no guarantee that BMW have wired the switch the same way as the aftermarket manufacturer and in that sense it needs to be established whether or not the clutch switches are open or closed to begin with.

Fortunately a quick multimeter test showed that the BMW clutch switch when the clutch is not pulled is a closed circuit and pulling the clutch lever breaks that circuit and must then stops the quickshifter from activating.

The Brembo HPK switch that I have works in exactly the same way, the only difference that may be an issue is that the BMW switch activates when there is about 30mm of movement in the lever, the Brembo one looks to be about 5mm tops so the correct amount of free play looks to be extremely important.

Might come in useful to someone I suppose, but it was quite confusing as having contacted Brembo, the first answer I got back was "it's a switch" and the second answer was that they have two types, open and closed!!!

Back