re: exchange f800gs with s1000rr ... crazy?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vteec

re: exchange f800gs with s1000rr ... crazy?

hello
i have a r1200gs adventure i am using everyday and a friend is interested in exchanging his 2010 s1000rr with my 2013 f800gs.

i never owned a sportsbike before but i was thinking to have something very different to my 12gs to compliment it.

can you commute to work on a s1000rr? the trip is around 15km each way and involves traffic filtering.

your opinion and advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Re: exchange f800gs with s1000rr ... crazy?

can you commute to work on a s1000rr? the trip is around 15km each way and involves traffic filtering.
Hi. I suppose that it's down to the time/distance that you are on the bike, but many on here are full time commuters on their S1ks and I would happily use mine for a sub-1 hour trip.
For an independent opinion, take a squinney at this: http://youtu.be/TKYUHFvT_Yc

...and the fact that you have joined this forum means that you know you want the bike anyway! ;)

If you owned both bikes you would have right laugh commuting
I also had a 1200GS and an S

thank you for the replies.

hi fatbob, did you keep your gs? my friend owns a garage and he is the only independent tech i trust my bikes with.
he is adamant i will exclusively start using the RR.

what are your views please?

For filtering I would have thought the s1000rr is going to be better than the GS any day, narrower and smaller all round. For comfort on long trips, lots of luggage, the GS. But for a 10 mile commute it would be easy on the s1000rr. I would also prefer being on a GS in bad weather.

The best thing about having two very different bikes is the choice each time you ride. I would certainly make the change.

thank you soofsayer. that is exactly what i am thinking at the moment.

the only other thought slightly holding me back is the fact that i am exchanging a 2013 bike with a 2010 model.
effectively with a five year old bike.
what do you think please?

I have an F800ST and an S1000RR. I commuted on the 800 most days for a year and a half, and some Fridays I used the RR just to start the weekend early :)

I'm not sure if it the tyres, the firmer suspension, or just the overall balance/weight distribution of the bikes, but I have to say I never enjoyed filtering on the RR. It just felt to nervy, too ready to change direction when you want/need predictability in a tight space.... just a thought..

Nope the GS went for a KTM 1190 ADV , which also went 10k miles later for a ducati Multistrada , which I love......... a lot :)

thank you soofsayer. that is exactly what i am thinking at the moment.

the only other thought slightly holding me back is the fact that i am exchanging a 2013 bike with a 2010 model.
effectively with a five year old bike.
what do you think please?

I'd be looking at the valuations obviously, then if you know your mate and he has looked after the bike well, and it is 'clean' then why not. Don't know what your bike is worth but a call into a dealer to ask what it would be against a second hand s1000rr would be a good place to start.

I go 12 miles each way on my bike everyday.
I bought a cb500 for the winter, but after a week, I was back on the s1000rr.

Good in traffic, good on the motorway, good everywhere!

Latest posts

Back