Rattle/bike off a cylinder? CCT or coil packs?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegman1184

Reaction score
Hi guys
Newby here so apologies if it's in the wrong area of the forum. I've a 2010 s1krr which has done 4500 miles. Last night I was out on it and it started running slow as if it was off of a cylinder. It's making a rattle when revved aswell and sounds horrendous to be fair. But worried about it as I paid quite a lot for it being low mileage!!
I've looked across the net and seen issues varying from just needing new plugs or coil packs to the cam chain tensioner and or internal damage. Has anyone got any information for me or been through this before?

Most likely the CCT. Mine went on my 2010 rattled a lot espicially on startup that was horrendous. I'll try find the video and see if yours is similar.

Hey Ben
Hard to tell from the video but it does sound rattly on start up but doesn't really get any better when it heats up or anything. Also just sounds as if it's off a cylinder . There are no fault lights or anything like that on the dash so I'm hoping it's nothing major. What is the best fix for this? A new hydraulic tensioner or a manual one from online somewhere?
Thanks again

From my experience mate I'd go for an OEM hydraulic one as I bought an APE manual one and it made it much worse. Cheers

Perfect mate. Thanks for that. BMW best to get them from or will the pull my pants down for parts as per......

Lind (Norwich) and Alan Jefferies (Leeds) offer discounts to Premier Members of this Forum...

Around ?60 from bmw , there is a different retaining cap that alters the tension range/preload of the hydraulic adjuster, this item is used on higher mileage ones where the chain may have stretched beyond the designed range of the factory fitted tensioner. This normally manifests itself with a rattle on initial start up for a couple of seconds

Thanks for all the information guys. I'm just worried that this isn't on initial start up it's constant . Hopefully it's just chain slap as opposed to any internal damage. Would it be anything to do with coil packs or plugs. It would explain the loss in power but not really explain why there is a noise ......

exhaust valve? doesn't sound fast enough for cam chain and with 4500 miles no way should it be worn - dealers might be worth a visit

Hey Mike
The bike has a de cat Austin racing on it so exhaust valve has been bypassed.it Still has original headers so wondered if any sensors on headers were loose or knackered?! That video isn't of mine but I could try and upload one if needed.
Would they be likely to entertain that considering it's a 2010 model. Knowing BMW I'd imagine they will wash their hands of it

Hi guys
Newby here so apologies if it's in the wrong area of the forum. I've a 2010 s1krr which has done 4500 miles. Last night I was out on it and it started running slow as if it was off of a cylinder. It's making a rattle when revved aswell and sounds horrendous to be fair. But worried about it as I paid quite a lot for it being low mileage!!
I've looked across the net and seen issues varying from just needing new plugs or coil packs to the cam chain tensioner and or internal damage. Has anyone got any information for me or been through this before?

Not sure where you are but it may be prudent just to get it checked at a local dealership in case of something more sinister like a camshaft. If you can, try not to ride it until you can get it looked at.

I'm in Aberdeen so I could take it up to John Clark Bmw in Aberdeen but they've worked on my bike before at 86.40 and hour which I'm not keen to pay. There are a few local bike mechanics which I imagine will be able to at least diagnose the issue .... I hope!! I'd love to keep it at John Clark Bmw but just not willing to pay that sort of cash!!

I think there is a valve In the headers too. Dealers will be ok but might charge you a bit!

Dealer mate...just to be sure, you don't have to get the work done there, but if I were you I probably would...Just a thought.

S

I'm in Aberdeen so I could take it up to John Clark Bmw in Aberdeen but they've worked on my bike before at 86.40 and hour which I'm not keen to pay. There are a few local bike mechanics which I imagine will be able to at least diagnose the issue .... I hope!! I'd love to keep it at John Clark Bmw but just not willing to pay that sort of cash!!

Totally understand mate, it is a lot of money, however it does need to be checked out. Could you call the dealership before and explain the situation and concerns of cost? It shouldn't take the tech long to recognise the sound?

It's booked in Wednesday am for a tech to look over it. John Clark BMW are charging me 156 plus vat to investigate the issue and then diagnose what is wrong and what is required. I'm just praying for good news.
My dads friend is a bike mechanic and he seems to think it's the camshaft and followers that's gone..... not good

Latest posts

Back