Radiator and oil cooler

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Reaction score
Hello,

2 questions:

1. I've done a little searching around but I'd be interested in gathering a few more opinions about radiator and oil cooler guards... I've looked at the Cox Racing ones as well as the R&G offerings. Which do people here prefer and are there any other decent alternatives?

2. My bike is less than a year old but the rad and cooler metal is already looking quite dull and dirty. Is there an easy way of cleaning them up to make them look nicer, preferably without removing them and without risking damage of course! I've tried several soakings in Muc Off followed by a good rinsing but it hasn't really helped. I guess part of the dullness is due to some oxidisation of the metal...?

thanks!

Luke

I'm looking at guards too. Got any picture lads?

Hi luke

i bought black R&G guards. They go on fine with a bit of jiggling (no disassembly required) and cable ties which are a bit fiddly to start with. Look ok. No problems. I'd prefer silver in hindsight, but not enough to bother changing them.

personally I'd steer well clear of muc off on the bike. From my own experience it can do a lot of corrosive damage. The only way I know of to clean the grilles is with a soft brush and gentle application of elbow grease.

getting guards on your bike is definitely the right decision, whichever ones you buy.

Last edited:
Is that what your meant to fit them with? Cable ties?

How strange. I thought there'd be some kind of screw or bolts holding them on. Glad I found that out before I ordered them and then kicked off about no fitting kit. Ha

I rather like the way the Evotech guards are mounted, using the existing rad and cooler mounting points... I guess overall there's not really a huge lot to choose between them all. They all appear to do the job!

Any other manufactures do what Evotech do? If not that's what I'll be buying I think.

Hello,

2 questions:

1. I've done a little searching around but I'd be interested in gathering a few more opinions about radiator and oil cooler guards... I've looked at the Cox Racing ones as well as the R&G offerings. Which do people here prefer and are there any other decent alternatives?

2. My bike is less than a year old but the rad and cooler metal is already looking quite dull and dirty. Is there an easy way of cleaning them up to make them look nicer, preferably without removing them and without risking damage of course! I've tried several soakings in Muc Off followed by a good rinsing but it hasn't really helped. I guess part of the dullness is due to some oxidisation of the metal...?

thanks!

Luke

After the very expensive episode of getting a rad holed in the first 3 months I would definitely recommend the cox racing ones!!

Yeah the cox guards are good quality and they do use one of the stock fixing bolts as well as zip ties.

Thanks for all of your replies, though I still can't decide, it's good fun finding out :)

Evotech rad and cooler guards go on tomorrow so I'll do some photos and short update. Instructions on 'How to' on their website so looks straightforward.......

I fitted the Evotech ones this week and I must say I'm glad I choose them. They are good quality and look very nice.

my only slight concern is that the oil cooler guard effectively increases the width dimensions of the cooler when in place, which means it contacts the inside of the lower engine protectors/fairings on both sides. I can't for the life of me see how it can be fitted differently or tweaked to avoid it. I'd be grateful if anyone has any feedback on this.

I have contacted Evotech and Gary returned my call a day later, which it missed unfortunately. Since then, I left a number of messages but have not been able to speak to anyone :-(

Best wishes to all.

Luke

OK, I promised some pics of the Evotach oil and radiator protector when I picked the bike up so here you go - I am really pleased, they look like an integral part of the bike rather than an aftermarket add on. I did have the dealer fit them rather than do it myself but that is because I wanted to have them fitted before I rode the bike from new.

IMAG0842.jpg

Back