Racing for real

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't race in England anymore. i race at a track in Croatia now. i also do some instructing for a track day company at there euro events.

Hey bananaman, how about a little summary of how the season was for you overall? How did you get on? Would be interesting to read your thoughts on it as I am itching to get racing at some point soon.

Been meaning to do this for a while lol.
Ok, here we go, apologies if I repeat earlier posts......
Took acu licence with msv, as it happens I did everything arse about face, it could all have been done with the club I joined, (BMCRC)
Basically, if you can ride a bike, overtake safely, do more that 25mph and not fall off you will pass. DO NOT be flash and show off because that's not what its all about, if you're a cocky idiot you will fail.....Any one that's interested there is a BMCRC open day at Brands Kentagon this coming sunday, think from 5pm, any questions asked and answered. It's on their website, just google bemsee (BMCRC)
I can only talk about my experiences with this club.
Bought myself a transit van, low roof swb, plenty big enough for a bike (2 at a push) and all kit, doubles up for sleeping as well.
I envy anybody starting out 'coz it's a really exciting time.
Most race weekends are preceded by a Friday practise day, so thurs evening or early friday roll up, you might be lucky with a garage otherwise erect yr awning/pop-up/gazebo in a spare space and sort yr bike/kit out. Early arrivals get pick of spaces, close to showers, close to pit lane, close to bar :Banane35: Once sorted, chill out for the evening and start worrying :hopelessness: Friday runs much like a trackday but a bit more hectic with emphasis on learning the track, suspension set up, finding out how much fuel used per lap (no point carrying extra fuel in a race) also free instruction from the club coaches. Scrutes (scrutineering) starts from about 3.30pm, always best to do it then 'coz it's manic on a Saturday early morning. This is as it says, qualified 'scrutes' crawl over yr bike checking for anything that may be or possibly could be a danger to you or others. Definitely a daunting time but they are there for a purpose and its not quite like going to the dentist. then on to equipment check, helmet, leathers and gloves. Don't try and get away with dodgy items, you won't and why would you want to? All passed then into signing on to pick up yr pit lane pass and timetable for racing Saturday and sunday, 1ST RACE ! BRING IT ON !!!!!:glee: (ohhhhhh shit.......) :( Friday eve spent checking the bike, topping up, generally making sure all is ok, maybe a beer, walk around the pits and chat eying up the opposition:encouragement: Saturday morning all you want to do is fire it up and get out for qualifying.
Saturday morning, up early (if you slept at all) double check the bike, make a coffee, go for a walk, you will find nothing takes yr mind off what you are about to do.
Called for qualifying, out you go and put some laptimes in. Approx. 10-15mins and yr back in, not enough time to stop shaking lol.
Not long before all qualifying is finished and you will be back out on the appropriate line on grid so bike check, fuel check then ready for call up !! When the class you are racing in is called yr thinking F**K, this is it !! You roll out to a dummy grid off circuit which orientates you where you will be amongst all the others, when all have turned up then yr waved onto circuit to grid positions ready for 1 warm up lap. Us rookies were generally running with the powerbikes (big boys) so even more daunting even though we were at the back half. Flagged of for the warm up lap, practising a 80% start. Warm up lap? FFS the front half had vanished like they were racing! (which is the intention of warming the tyres up tut ) Back around, all settled, starter points to the lights, don't stall, don't stall, don't stall, DO NOT F**KING STALL !!! It's an awesome feeling, 20-30 bikes around you on 7-10,000 revs, a few nose cones twitching on the bite, then the lights go out, OMG I'm actually doing this, 1st turn is always the hardest, everyone wants the same part of the track, throughout the season my biggest problem has been leaving 'safe' trackday mode behind and getting into 'that's my part of the track' race attitude, probably an age thing lol
Much the same happens every weekend/ every race, the thrill never leaves.....
Have met some great friends, everybody helps everybody, nothing is too much trouble and the marshals are top notch !
Some times throughout the season :-----
Qual best of weekend

Brands Indy 57.1 52.3

Snett300 2.24 2.09

s/stone int 1.19 1.16.5 Dodgy conditions

Oulton Missed

Donny 1.50 1.45

Cadders missed

Brands gp 1.54 1.39 Gear-lever came adrift in qual back of the grid start....

Brands indy 54.5 53.6 Very dodgy conditions

Finished 5th I think for the season so not too shabby and ticked a box that needed ticking.

Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time.

I felt nervous just reading your build up to the first race.

How many races per weekend?

Are you going to race again? 5th sounds bloody good to me.

Soofs, Friday like a normal trackday with sessions then qualifying followed by 2 races sat and 2 sun 6-10 laps each. Doesn't sound a lot but my old bones were knackered lol Think there's more meetings next year.
Not sure about next season yet, chewing that over....

Sounds plenty to me. 2 or 3 laps at max pace on a trackday and I need some time out, and that's without the stress of racing other bikes. nice one.

Back