Probably a boring 'which gen should I get post...'

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Looking at buying an S1000RR having sold my 11 plate ZX10. Reading the reviews from MCN on another thread here it makes the Gen 3 out to be such a leap forward from a Gen 2... I dont think I can stretch to a Gen 3 :dispirited:

I spend virtually all my riding time on the road but might look to do a trackday or 2 next year (probably in the novice/inters group being honest!). Am I going to be missing out just going for the Gen 2 model, from everything I've read its going to be better on the road than my previous ZX10R which was all top endy, although it handled great.

And... for another curve ball the FEC podcast said the finish on the Gen 1 bikes was much better than anything that followed and will probably be a future classic, one has come up for sale near me under budget and only 6k on the clock.... worth overlooking the other Gens for?

Thanks all !

Gen3 gets the HP4's tricks in a road package.
But I loved my Gen2... Can't go too wrong. I'd personally skip gen 1

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight ! I just cant see how I can stretch to the gen 3 unless I went with something high mileage and as I'll probably keep the bike 3-4 years I dont really want to go down that route. How is your Gen 3 better than your Gen 2 though just out of interest?

I went from gen1 to gen3 so cant comment on the 2. Loved my 3 (at the moment more than my 4) if possible stretch yr wallet, you wont regret it,,,,

The 3rd gen better than the 4 wow !

LOL, didn't say that, just my personal feeling. Raced my 1&3 so had plenty of track time, had 2 years with an rsv4 and now 2nd year with gen4. Bearing in mind that we were a long time off track due to covid, I dont do much on the road (seems pointless after so much track time, road conditions, so much traffic) but probably also an age thing, self preservation, lack of confidence etc. Was faster on gen 3 than the 1, faster on the rsv4 than the 3 and now faster on the gen 4 than the rsv4. Take the speed away and the most comfortable, complete I felt was on the 3. I found that the 4 reacts better the faster you push it, maybe its now the time of life I'm not prepared to do this. Almeria in November with a few quick riders so that always helps.

Loved my 3 ...........

Best advice is purchase the newest that you can afford, you won?t go wrong with anyone of them. I never owned the Gen 2 or 3 but have owned the Gen 1 and now Gen 4.

If you purchase what you can afford then you won?t feel like you?re missing out.

Best advice is purchase the newest that you can afford, you won?t go wrong with anyone of them. I never owned the Gen 2 or 3 but have owned the Gen 1 and now Gen 4.

If you purchase what you can afford then you won?t feel like you?re missing out.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. We are nearing the end of the season now, so I'm thinking maybe wait till the winter and pick up an off season Gen 3 that drops in to my budget and if it doesnt I'll get a better Gen 2 in the off season than was in my budget in summer.

I've decided on a Bimmer for sure and with the great reception and help here looks like I'll be in good company :peaceful:

Thanks everyone.

Scotty,
I?ve owned a Gen1,Gen2,Gen3 and now have a Gen4. All of them have delivered great pleasure, I?m still adjusting to the Gen4, as the quick shifter is not as good as the Gen3. I?ve still got my Gen 3, and think it?s the better bike IMO. It?s better to stretch your budget to get the Gen3.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. We are nearing the end of the season now, so I'm thinking maybe wait till the winter and pick up an off season Gen 3 that drops in to my budget and if it doesnt I'll get a better Gen 2 in the off season than was in my budget in summer.

I've decided on a Bimmer for sure and with the great reception and help here looks like I'll be in good company :peaceful:

Thanks everyone.

Good idea to wait, I Was speaking too a dealer yesterday and he remarked that he is being offered a huge amount of used bikes at the moment which is very early (usually starts Nov) and he is not buying.
Good luck with your search and purchase.

Latest posts

Back