Possible new owner,info needed please guys

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lengster

After 5 years on my k5 giver I fancy an rr,But....I've been told early ones have over sensitive traction,unable to override anti wheelie,cam failure and gearbox failure,12 model better but I'm not as keen on the Motorsport colours on that model grr,full systems don't seem to give much gains for the cost? Some well priced examples appeared n sold on dealer franchise such as 7995 11 plate and 1200 mile 12 model for 10500,these make many private sales look dear given they will come with a warranty.I don't need to p/x the k5 and can buy an rr outright if tempting enough but I'm torn between early or later model.thanks in advance guys any advice or experiences are much appreciated

Depends what yr looking for. Early ones do have sensitive tc, anti-wheelie etc but can also be turned off. Early ones have lighter crank so spin up quicker. Have been reports of chocolate cams, chocolate boxes etc. Am sure there will be others with advice but can say that my 2010 has been good for me, 15000 mls and no mech probs apart from a few false neutrals. Switch gear replaced (common prob). Only thing thats expensive is tyres lol. Suspension is personal. Often think what do i gain by 'upgrading'?. So many parts around now as well. 'You pays ya money, you takes ya choice' lol Way i look at it, i'm not chasing tenths on the track so do i need all the extras in upgrading? Prob not.

Thanks,I was told today that it couldn't be turned off on early 10 and 11 models? Can I flick a switch whilst riding to allow wheelies etc? or is it ignition off n reset job? Also told tc can't be fully turned off? What's the best way of removing the full throttle restriction in the first 3 gears? Power commander/remap? I'm not chasing tenths on track either but do like the bike to get loose and outa shape a fair bit.Can you dis arm anti wheelie completely?

Yes you can disable the anti wheelie via a switch while riding and the traction control is not as bad as you might have heard, and i've notice no restriction in the first 3 gears?

I think the '12 models onwards retard the ignition more in 1st 2nd 3rd. If there is a restriction in lower gears in the '10 bike, I've never noticed it and if you're ridiing without the TC and anti-wheelie, I'd wager you'd loop it before discovering any power drop - it's likely there to make it ridable, or save the gearbox a bit in lower gears. Pretty standard stuff, physics probably won't let you use 190bhp in first. To switch TC modes, you just press the mode switch until you get the one you want on the dash, then pull the clutch to engage. To switch it all off, you do need to be at standstill (from memory) and press the ABS/DTC button. There is a pretty relaxed TC mode (slick) though, that has no anti-wheelie, if you want to switch that off on the fly.

Latest posts

Back