Phil Crowe and his additional fueling set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone had Phil Crowes fuel setup done on their bike? Have heard about it that and quite unfamiliar with the whole thing

Hope someone knows what I'm on about

IDK

Guess: Powercommander V with Secondary Injector controller?
(So it controls all 8 injectors instead of the 4 the PCV alone controls)

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Race Calibration Kit

He uses a HP Race Calibration Kit (RCK) which is only suitable for race bikes.

Re: Race Calibration Kit

He uses a HP Race Calibration Kit (RCK) which is only suitable for race bikes.

Then it must be that he's changing injectors and/or rail pressure if its 'additional'.

- Sent from Mobile

Race Calibration Kit

You don't need to make any physical changes to the engine or add anything except the RCK cable and hardware. That and the ECU unlock code. I have been discussing it with him at length over the last couple of months as I'm now free to use the RCK as my warranty has now expired.

Thats it Alex, the secondary fuel module. I've read online about this and he says it's great.

Secondary Fuel Module

Now that's something completely different. A Secondary Fuel Module just compliments a PCV and allows you to tune the fuelling more accurately as you are can control all of the injectors. The RCK allows you to do exactly the same thing with more fidelity but at the expense of your warranty.

Re: Secondary Fuel Module

Now that's something completely different. A Secondary Fuel Module just compliments a PCV and allows you to tune the fuelling more accurately as you are can control all of the injectors. The RCK allows you to do exactly the same thing with more fidelity but at the expense of your warranty.

Does it really help the performance?

Performance

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If it's just the pursuit of Bhp then no.

So to give some background.
The RR has 8 injectors when traditionally (but not exclusively) you would normally have 4.
The 2 injectors per cylinder are used (I don't know the RR sizes) 1 larger than the other.

The smaller injectors are used for small throttle openings and low rpm - they are what gives the RR such lovely manners around town.
The larger injectors join the party when the ECU determines that load requires them to supplement the fuel delivery.

The PCV can control 4 injectors, the SFM an additional 4 when linked to a PCV.
Its the larger injectors that you would control with a PCV on its own. This is because you're usually looking for improvements in power at high RPM / load when on track.
The SFM is used to add the fidelity to the system by controlling the smaller injectors.

FWIW, the Bazzaz and Rapid Bike Evo control 8 injectors out of the box so no need for additional units.
If you want the fueling looked at, I would find a mapper you trust and just go with their recommended solution. As the mappers skill with a product is more important than the product itself.

Last edited:
Tuning

If you want the fueling looked at, I would find a mapper you trust and just go with their recommended solution. As the mappers skill with a product is more important than the product itself.

+1. Then once mapped just go and enjoy the bike on the road, or better still, on track.

Can Phil unlock the bike for the rck3? Or do you need to go to BMW then take the bike to him? I'm currently looking at options for my race bike.

Race Calibration Kit

No; it's linked to the bike's VIN and the ECU can only be enabled by a BMW dealership using an unlock code. For the RCK code and associated hardware expect to pay around ?1,000. Budget a further ?300-400 for tuning.

RCK3: 2015-on models.
RCK2: pre-2015 models.

For pre-2015 models you may have to purchase a separate HP Race ECU to allow the RCK2 to be used. The standard ECU found on 2015-on models can be Race Enabled.

Mine is a gen3 and already has the hp software. Was just considering the rck due to being able to fine tune the traction and anti wheelie and so on. Basically gives you access to pretty much everything. Just not sure of its a waste of money or could come in useful.

Race Calibration Kit

I am tempted to go down the RCK route now that my warranty has expired but the HP racing data release and mapping that I have installed is already very good. That said it could be refined further. If I was racing then I would certainly do it but I'm not sure I can justify the expense as my bike is only used for trackdays.

Yeah exactly. Even racing I don't know if I would benefit that much from it. When I picked the bike up shoey was saying even they don't bother with the rck as it's not really needed and they couldn't justify it

it's worth noting the RCK can do a lot more than just fueling though,but by the time you've bought the unit+unlock codes it's over ?2k,and the units are not transferable (as in you cant just plug it into ant bike),so only any real use if your serious about fine tuning all apsects of your bike (engine brake in different gears etc)

also,if you get a bazzaz fuel mod,there no need for a secondry unit as they control all 8 injectors

Latest posts

Back