Parts needed for HP4 after chain snapped :(

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryHP4

Reaction score
Hi all,
Had my chain snap today and rip through everything lol
Carbon chain guard (gone), hugger and the underside tail fairing (blue).
Looking to see if anyone has spare parts they’d like to unburden them selves of 😋
Also general question too.
I was cursing at 40 and switched between 3rd to 4th gear when the chain snapped. The bike went straight in to neutral which made it easy for pushing home lol.
Just trying to assess the damage and see if there’s any engine/gear damage.
Without the chain on I can tap the gears up from 2-6 but not past neutral to 1st. Not sure if the front sprocket is spinning but will be having a look tomorrow.
Do we think I might have broke the drive shaft or what ever controls the gear?
Cheers ahead.
Terry

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpeg
    IMG_4012.jpeg
    128.8 KB
  • IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    121.8 KB
  • IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    101.7 KB
  • IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    95.1 KB
I think you were lucky you were only doing 40, at higher speeds the chain would have done more damage and could have hit yourself too. Check the operation of the gear shifter. Something is wrong as you should be able to engage first gear - definitely worth investigation.

LOL, Without a chain there's no gears, hence you could push it home. ;)
There's no picture of the gear shift area so it's hard to judge if anything has happened. I would fit a new chain and sprockets then assess the movement of the gearbox by rocking the rear wheel (whilst on paddock stands) and seeing then if you can get it into different gears. (Engine off, electrics/dash on).

For the plastics, the Chinese copies are usually very good, if you struggle to find original parts. Same goes for the Carbon too...Ilmberger is the top brand closest to the original parts

Cheers guys and yes ‘GEARS’ 🫣
So my bro (mechanical engineer) told me that he thinks the gear is stuck in 1st as the small sprocket was constantly spinning/engaged (yes he was a where of clutch slip in neutral lol).
As the chain was ripped off fully during the ride, I naturally thought it was in neutral.
His instructions to me where ‘ percussion maintenance’…..rubber mallet, engine on, clutch in and give the gear shifter a medium to firm tap down to lock in 1st gear.
IT WORKED! Before I couldn’t find 1st but now it registers!
Stripping down the rear end tomorrow to assess damage and prep from installing the new sprockets and chain once they arrive and take it from there.
Fingers crossed that the gears run through smoothly once tested.
I’ll keep you in the loop.

Latest posts

Back