PCV and TC/ABS

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossHarper

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

After a few quick questions you guru's could probably answer for me. Power Commanders on old bikes I know my way around but not with the electronics the S1 has.

1. Will fitting PCV remove Traction Control and/or ABS?
2. I've read to map each gear individually you'd have to fit a speed sensor to take a reading from the gearbox sprocket (ABS model of S1000's loom is prepped for this) So this kind of implies that with a PCV the ABS becomes nullified. Is this info correct?
3. Apart from Bazzaz, is there any other aftermarket TC units for the bike?

This is my first bike with TC (probably like a lot of you), but riding all year round, everyday (even when it snows) I've come to love the TC kicking in every once in awhile.

Cheers muckers

Afternoon all.

After a few quick questions you guru's could probably answer for me. Power Commanders on old bikes I know my way around but not with the electronics the S1 has.

1. Will fitting PCV remove Traction Control and/or ABS?
2. I've read to map each gear individually you'd have to fit a speed sensor to take a reading from the gearbox sprocket (ABS model of S1000's loom is prepped for this) So this kind of implies that with a PCV the ABS becomes nullified. Is this info correct?
3. Apart from Bazzaz, is there any other aftermarket TC units for the bike?

This is my first bike with TC (probably like a lot of you), but riding all year round, everyday (even when it snows) I've come to love the TC kicking in every once in awhile.

Cheers muckers
1. No
2. No idea about mapping each gear but ABS still works
3. Don't know but I hear the BAZZAZ is good but I'm thinking of removing PCV and going for an ECU Flash

Davy

Thanks Niven.

So can you answer this: if PCV doesn't affect TC, will switching between the standard ECU modes (rain, sport etc) still alter the TC setting like it does as standard?

The Bazzaz works on all 8 injectors where as PCV as standard only works on 4. Plus the Bazzaz has a TC unit that can be plugged in which is considered a better unit than the standard.

The S1000 without ABS takes it speed reading from a sensor connected to loom to read gearbox sprocket, I'm sure i've read somewhere that to map each gear you need that speed monitor connected. Which is a BMW part. Of course mapping each gear will give a better performance in every gear plus it might eek out an extra 1/2bhp lol.

Sorry to thread-jack, can i ask what the advantages are as i'm comsidering PCV at the moment?
thanks

PCV can only alter primary injector fuelling, secondary as well if you buy another module
Bazzaz does all injectors

ECU update can alter everything, not just fuelling.....ABS/DTC/Fuelling etc

Thanks Niven.

So can you answer this: if PCV doesn't affect TC, will switching between the standard ECU modes (rain, sport etc) still alter the TC setting like it does as standard?

The Bazzaz works on all 8 injectors where as PCV as standard only works on 4. Plus the Bazzaz has a TC unit that can be plugged in which is considered a better unit than the standard.

The S1000 without ABS takes it speed reading from a sensor connected to loom to read gearbox sprocket, I'm sure i've read somewhere that to map each gear you need that speed monitor connected. Which is a BMW part. Of course mapping each gear will give a better performance in every gear plus it might eek out an extra 1/2bhp lol.

Yep, modes remain the same
I've heard that Bazzaz is good but I have no experience of it.

Niven, Who's doing ECU reprogramming in the UK thats trust worthy?

I'd sooner let a stranger fiddle with my wife than my S1000

so for those of us with limited knowledge, that just want to go fast, and do the odd trackday, theres probably not alot of gain to be had from going bazzaz or ecu update over pcv?

thanks for your help

I am led to believe from what I have read that the top injectors aren't used all the time, and the adjustments needed can be done with just the 4 lower injectors. No benefit is gained from getting the PCV expansion unit. This is only what I have read and I did not fully understand the explanation, or remember it either.

so for those of us with limited knowledge, that just want to go fast, and do the odd trackday, theres probably not alot of gain to be had from going bazzaz or ecu update over pcv?

thanks for your help

I would ask the question....do any of us need more ? If the answer is yes we may be in the wrong job.

Davy

Last edited:
I have also read that all adjustments that are need can be done from the lower injectors and there is no real need to adjust top. However this information was supplied by Dynojet, and surprise surprise Bazzaz information contradicts it.

Googling Power Commander V vs Bazzaz your'll find loads of results for different bikes, and if you bumble through it all, everyone who has tested both are the same bike always gained more Horse's from the Bazzaz but admitted it's a harder system to tune in correctly

I have also read that all adjustments that are need can be done from the lower injectors and there is no real need to adjust top. However this information was supplied by Dynojet, and surprise surprise Bazzaz information contradicts it.

Googling Power Commander V vs Bazzaz your'll find loads of results for different bikes, and if you bumble through it all, everyone who has tested both are the same bike always gained more Horse's from the Bazzaz but admitted it's a harder system to tune in correctly

See previous point about more power........
For me it's more about sorting the ABS / DTC out and the extra power is a bonus.

Davy

Agreed Niven. The only reason I have a PCV is I am worried if I didnt the fuelling may be incorrect and damage the engine. Although apparently the full Akra should be ok.
I actually believe I would be faster around a track with quite a bit less power.

£360, when you figure the cost of a PCV and a dyno run to set it up it is good value, as you get the TC adjusted too. It makes the bike alot smoother from tick over all the way through the revs. the TC and anti wheelie are alot better when adjusted too. No more bouncy anti wheelie just smooth low power wheelies.
I had mine done as i had the full system on and wanted the fueling set up for the exhaust, the extra torque is a bonus as is the extra HP, i just wanted the bike to run the best it could and to be smooth. my mate has a zx10 r and he rode my bike and could no believe how smooth and controllable the throttle response was, not jerky or on and off feeling just very smooth and predictable.

Cheers ekdg.

It would work about £100 more for me to have ECU reflashed than a PCV.

PCV is £267 on Demon tweeks at moment and my dyno guy will tune it for £20. Plus taking into account petrol to get to Hilltop

Back