Paint Protection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDPDesign

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I've been dabbling for a couple of years with various paint protection products, and most recently have been quite taken with the GTechniq range.

I bought my first S1000RR last Feb (14 plate) and had this coated professionally as a favour.

I was quite impressed, but as it was a freebie, not all of the bike was coated.

I swapped this for a 15 plate, and coated it myself with GTechniq C1 & EXO V2. Cost was around ?80 for the product and about ?15 for the cleaner you apply before coating.

This year, I swapped the 15 for a 16 plate, and went to town on it.

I bought the professional only GTechniq Crystal Serum (?100 for 30ml!!!!!) and EXO V2 to apply. Was a bit nervous as the Crystal Serum dries that hard, if you get it wrong it has to be wet sanded to remove it. All in all in a bottle of each there's enough to do a bike and a car, or probably 3 bikes.

I've now coated all plastics inside and out. I had to take farings off to fit rad guard, so decided to thoroughly clean and coat all areas of the bike.

I've had both wheels out, discs off, tail pod removed, tank removed, etc... and cleaned, degreased and coated the whole bike (or at least as much as I can reach without dropping the engine and getting daft! I've even coated the inside of the swing arm whic hcleans up so easy now.

I am really pleased with the end result. grease from the chain doesn't stick, it just wipes off, wheels clean up much easier, flies and road crap just wipes off the fairings. Worst part I've found to keep clean in the past are the fork stanchions; these just wipe clean with a damp microfibre cloth now.

I really can't praise the products enough. An absolute pain to apply, takes ages and lots of concentration (a lot of 'have I done that bit?') but now its completed, it really does seem to resist scratches, and cleans up a treat. The beading effect from the EXO V2 is amazing. The Crystal Serum is advertised as guaranteed to protect for 7 years. Time will tell!

Some pics of both the 15 plate and the 16 plate below. (red & White is 15 plate, Black & red is 16 plate) The beading effect on the 16 plate is amazing. This was about a week after completing the detail and getting it blathered up after being caught in the rain...

http://vid1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd475/cdpdesign/VID-20160326-WA0005.mp4

http://vid1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd475/cdpdesign/VID-20160326-WA0004.mp4

Attachments

• IMAG1971.jpg
    IMAG1971.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG1975.jpg
    IMAG1975.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG2164.jpg
    IMAG2164.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG2165.jpg
    IMAG2165.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG2166.jpg
    IMAG2166.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of work, hat off to you. Looks superb.

Last edited:
I have the GTechniq C1 and EXO...and the C4 to restore trim, it's pretty expensive, but does go a long way. I litterally started applying the C1 today and will follow it up with the EXO in a day. Hoping for good stuff from it - it's been in a box for 6months oops.

Has anyone else used this? With what results as when bike comes back from painters
i want to protect it
want to know best way to go about it

Has anyone else used this? With what results as when bike comes back from painters i want to protect it want to know best way to go about it

Best stuff for going on top of paint lacquer. But Stephen is able to supply a good alternative.

Ok but is there any profesional installers out there? As I imagine u need patience for this
and unfortunately I have none

Ok but is there any profesional installers out there? As I imagine u need patience for this and unfortunately I have none
Honestly it goes on via an applicator in 10mins for the C1 and EXO

Last edited:
Is this stuff purely for finish care ?
should I get venture shield as well for paint chips?

Like anything it's all in the preparation. Crystal serum is not for the faint hearted, you can do some serious damage if applied incorrectly. To do the full bike carefully and properly you're talking about 12 or more hours. It's not something you should rush. The more parts you can take off the bike the better as if you miss some product and don't wipe it off properly the surface goes milky and you have had it. You need to ensure the whole bike is cleaned properly using the panel wipe otherwise you are sealing in the contaminants.

Last edited:
Alex is right, clear film is the way but if your having your fairings repainted one thing you could do is get the garage to laquer them in ceramic laquer, it's a lot tougher than normal 2k laquer but more expensive.

Xpel can be seen here: http://www.xpel.com/why-xpel/

if if you are after a uk installer, (film or coatings) you could try Adam Wright at finest detail. He's bloody amazing at applying this stuff. http://www.finestdetail.co.uk

just for the record I have no affiliation to any of the companies suggested or the products, just merely an enthusiast of all concerned... :)

I've just had a x-pel kit delivered from the states. Couldn't find anywhere in the UK to get it for the s1rr. Not getting the bike for another couple of weeks. I'll post pics and review once I get the bike

Hi Kenny, any updates on the x-pel? Thinking of getting it done before my Euro adventure.

Latest posts

Back