OEM Quick shifter

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullTwist

Reaction score
I have a 2017 withOM quick shifter. While down-shifts with the auto-blipper are perfect, indeed the additional stability when down-shifting withoutworking the clutch and throttle while hard on the brakes isoutstanding, up-shifts are often clunky and accompanied by a slightlurch. Very occasionally up-shifts are ?knife through butter?smoothbut I am not aware of doing anything different on those occasions. Ionly use the QS when on track and shift at between 12-13K . I havebeen through the QS calibration process and have tried with both 40mmand 50mm of chain slack but cannot get consistently smooth up-shifts.The clunking worries me. Is there a favoured technique or some?trick? I am missing? Thanks.

Re: OM Quick shifter

I find the changes are pretty agricultural on my ?17.
Probably worse since fitted a fueling computer.

When I get to Portimao I will test using small throttle reductions on change up to see if I can work around it more.

Downshifting is awesome like you say!!

- Sent from Mobile

Shift 'assist' is not a quick shifter.... IMO, the gearbox is not slick enough like the Japs to shift any better than it does and why the shifter is sprung loaded as opposed to 'direct' . It definitely is 100% better with minimal roll off to unload the box. I can't for the life of me understand how BMW haven't sorted this in the last 7/8 years, maybe the '19 will be perfect...

I had issues after adding the rb module. Or so I put it down to but Turned out the QS had a broken part inside it and was swapped under warranty. They then reset all the values on the computer not the ‘over run ten seconds per gear route’, I’ve had consistent and relatively clean shifts both up and down with zero misses since.
Worth while getting bmw to have a look. The shifts shouldn’t be clunky or slow as the qs is basically a light switch, u flick the shift and two connectors connect causing a shift of gear. If the kill times are out or the connectors are broken then it won’t engage correctly . It took me three months to sort mine, I tried to persevere thinking it was me. BMW took 20 mins

Was talking about the gen 1 really. Agree it's a switch but can only think that the later unit is sprung loaded allowing a m/s more of unloading before the next cog is engaged with less force and goes in when it's ready . My gen 3 is ok but wary when I change cranked over on the gas, hence a mm of roll off.

OM Quick shifter

In my experience on a Gen 3 RR, I found that the gearbox did seem to improve during the first few thousand miles of use.

Shift Assist Pro is sensitive to proper chain tension, clutch free play and throttle opening.
As the throttles are so light and responsive, I am of the opinion that anytime you inadvertently back off it can negatively affect the shift.

I do agree with the above that the S1K?s gearbox/shifter is an area that should be improved for future modes.
It is also unavoidable that there is the occasional bad shift.

I would check the above, focus on having the throttle open and not inadvertently closing it before shifting, and give it some time to let the gearbox loosen up a bit.

Hopefully by the time the gearbox loosens up a bit, you?ll have bonded with the shifter more [emoji846]

Last edited:

For the second time I a remember the auto down shift refused to make a downshift on me today.
Lever moved but hit a hard stop and no change! Dash gear number flashed so I was doing something wrong. Tried releasing gear lever but second try the same then ran out of time.
When I used clutch slipped in perfect. It was a 4th into 3rd but on a quick change down from 4th to a 2nd gear 90 deg bend.

Anyone else had this and why would it happen? Rest of the ride was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually it's because the lever was not released fully on the last previous down shift or the throttle isn't closed.

@preynol1 I?ve had this happen on rare occasions. In my experience, this has been caused by rider error where I?ve not 100 % allowed the gear lever to return back fully and therefore not resetting the micro-switch.

I would recommend checking your clutch free play.
Also, it?s worth ensuring that you don?t ride with your finger(s) resting on the clutch.

Hope this helps, if the problem persists I would suggest taking the bike to your dealer for further checks

Back