Northampton newbie

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lem123

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Liam, 41 years old from Northampton. Bought my s1000rr 3 weeks ago from Wollaston dealership, 2012 model. I rode it home approx 3 miles and it's sat in the shed ever since. Weather has been crap! Still I'm using the time wisely adding various goodies to it.

i gotta say I had a bit of a fright reading through the forums on the various recalls/ issues and build quality etc. :( I just assumed with a Beamer badge it would all be good?
Maybe we could start a new thread on just how good these bikes really are, just to make me feel a bit better!

Liam :)

Hi Liam and welcome.

I bought mine new in 2012 and done 1000miles on the road and then converted it for the track where it has been ever since.
No problems at all (hope i've not just jinxed it)

Regards
Davy

Last edited:
Hi Liam and welcome to the forum, I've had mine nearly a year now and covered2500 miles and never had a problem whatsoever with it (touch wood). I've owned various jap bikes and had problems with them.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Liam, congrats on your bike, I got mine in July and it has been great over the 2500 miles I have done. Had an issue with an alarm fob not working, replaced by dealer, sorted. As far as I am aware every bike and car gets recalls, which is what the bulk of the issues are. IMO owners often get caught out by having the bike not serviced by bmw but an Indy, or doing it DIY, missing the recalls, and then having the problem. Or there is the aftermarket tuning, which will reduce the tolerances of the bike if not done professionally, or poor maintenance, again IMO...

I would recommend having a good relationship with your dealer, they play a significant role in helping you get help from bmw should anything bad (expensive) happen to the bike, even out of warranty.

Anyhow hope you get to enjoy your bike soon! It's a great machine.

Hi Buddy, also got a 2012 and have done nearly 18k on it. Only issue is the sump which BMW replaced foc twice now.

Hi and welcome! Mines a 2010 15000mls. Usual switchgear replacement, but now needs a new engine. Because its loaded with full bmw history and some, + a gs in the garage + had bmw cars in my time bmw are covering the cost of a new one. As its out of warrenty I can't complain. Great bike though enjoy!!

Hi Liam, welcome to the forum.
I'm an old Northamptonian and Steve from Wollaston soon had me hooked on one in motorsport colours when they hit the showrooms in 2010. 600miles to running in service and another couple of thousand on track days - no worries from it at all and still makes me smile. Just don't get out enough!
Early difficulties in neutral selection and over intrusive DTC seem to have improved with age (or slick mode) and the engine / gearbox has been faultless - touch wood. Thinking of changing the suspension for 2014.
Enjoy and stay safe,
Martin

Back