New Tyre(s)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon all.
Bit skint at the mo and my rear tyre is squaring off, but the front seems just fine. They're both Rosso 3's.
I do the odd trackday but use the S1 on the road for the vast majority of the time. I'm also not much of a braker, even on track, which may be a reason why I never go through front tyres.
I've always replaced both tyres in the past (by a mechanic, I don't have the facilities) but would like to save myself ?100 ish. Shall I just do the rear and see how long the front will last, or is there something I'm not factoring in?
I do about 6K miles PA.
Cheers
H

There?s absolutely nothing wrong with just changing the rear, some tyres seem to wear equally front/back, whereas others go through 2 rear?s to 1 front.
Only important thing is that you always replace with the same tyre, as mismatching tyres is a big no no

Last edited:
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with just changing the rear, some tyres seem to wear equally front/back, whereas others go through 2 rear’s to 1 front.
Only important thing is that you always replace with the same tyre, as mismatching tyres is a big no no
Hi Oli,
Im in the same stage as Huge above after my first ride out today i have picked up a puncture. I have plugged it but when i got home and tried the soapy water test it is still slightly bubbling. Hi I have Michelin Power Sport RS front and rear which I have been happy with. I now need to look for a new rear tyre but until I read your thread I was looking at all options of manufacturers just for the rear. Please can you be kind enough to explain why you shouldn't mix manufacturers so I can understand better. Cheers

Hi Oli,
Im in the same stage as Huge above after my first ride out today i have picked up a puncture. I have plugged it but when i got home and tried the soapy water test it is still slightly bubbling. Hi I have Michelin Power Sport RS front and rear which I have been happy with. I now need to look for a new rear tyre but until I read your thread I was looking at all options of manufacturers just for the rear. Please can you be kind enough to explain why you shouldn't mix manufacturers so I can understand better. Cheers

I?m sorry to hear you acquired a puncture and are still having trouble with it.
If you have plugged the tyre with one of the tubeless puncture repair kits, this is only a ?temporary? measure and in no way substitutes for a professionally repaired tyre in which a permanent plug is fitted.
This is ?very? important ...

The reason you absolutely should not mix different tyre models/makes is because the profiles and tread design are designed to work in unison. Deviating not only has a negative impact on handling, but in some cases can have a very detrimental impact on wet weather performance.

My recommendation would be to get your tyre repaired professionally and then try a fresh tyre set when the time is right

Last edited:
There?s absolutely nothing wrong with just changing the rear, some tyres seem to wear equally front/back, whereas others go through 2 rear?s to 1 front.
+1 don't mix brands, but 2 rears to a front works well if you're enjoying the power. The problem with this is the profile of the tyres. They're designed
to work as a pair! You'll miss that lovely feel of a new set when tipping in to a turn. But, needs must...

I had my puncture examined today by a motorcycle tyre fitter and I decided to change the tyres. Apparently the Michelin tyre is quite a soft compound and prone to easily being punctured and the fitter sees far more punctures in Michelin tyres than the other premium brands. I didn't want to risk any more incidents like yesterday so have decided the Michelin Power RS had to go. They would have only lasted another 1000 miles further in any case. I really liked them but I'm not really an experienced enough rider yet to recognise different tip in feel in any case. Anyway thanks to Oli for the input on not mixing manufacturers, I have therefore treated my bike to a new set front and rear of S21's ready for my biking season. The tyre man also said it was a big no no mixing tyre brands and even different models of the same manufacturer. Im leading a fast ride out on Saturday down to Goodwood and over the downs so I need to scrub them in well this week.

No the confidence I have knowing the front is worn In is outstanding. Our bikes we rear wheel drive and 200bhp on that wheel . Under no circumstances would the front wear in unison with the rear.
There’s a road up here which you will be riding on if you come up for the NC500.
I changed 2 sets, both at the same time when I was traveling on this road during quiet summer nights The rear was done and the fronts were shot on the shoulders of the supercorsas. ?350 a time fitted and not a lot of miles oooft!

Latest posts

Back