New bloke

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Reaction score
Hello chaps, I'm Dan. I live in Kent & have now been riding since 2000. I currently have a Repsol fireblade & am looking to upgrade to the S1000RR as soon as possible. I took an S1000RR out yesterday from Cooper BMW in Tonbridge Well & haven't stopped grinning yet! My budget will only stretch to an early S1000RR but can't wait to get on one again!

Hey Dan welcome along.
I came from a Fireblade too, the BMW is a cracking bike.

Hi Dan, welcome & glad you like the bike :).

This time of year dealers are getting old stock out of the way for the new reg in March. It is well worth looking around all the dealers' stock to get a good deal by asking for discounts.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hi Dan, glad you liked the Beemer, once you're hooked you're hooked. Good luck in your search it'll be worth waiting for.

JimmyMac

Thanks for the welcome. I'm shocked at the price difference between the BMW & the Honda! The same year bike with the same mileage is between ?2000-3000 more! You do get a lot with the BMW than the Honda though & riding them back to back is like chalk & cheese! Is there anything that I need to look out for with an early S1000RR?

I've just came from a Fireblade too. Probably much older than yours a 2001 929cc. Haven't managed more than 100 miles since buying the BMW at Christmas but already know it will be hard to find much else in the same league. I can't comment on what to look out for etc as I haven't much experience yet. I do have experience of buying though so I can say that there are plenty of nice bikes around and the right one will come up within your budget if you haven't already found it. I've just bought mine a year old from Coopers (Sunderland). I'd say its definitely worthwhile paying a little extra from the main dealers as I got a years warranty and BMW emergency service etc. I believe all main BMW Motorrad dealers offer this on all used bikes. Whatever you decide, I doubt you'll regret it. Welcome to the forum!

+1 for Coopers Sunderland, bought both my '13 and '15RR's from them 'blind', got two unbeatable deals and two mint bikes delivered hassle free to my door

If I were you I'd definitely buy from a shop as thankfully I did when I bought my '11.
A week later it was in getting a new top engine rebuild camshaft valves etc. The bill came to 2100 euro.
I probably paid a bit more than I would have privately but thank god I did.
And best of all the work now has a two year warranty so it's peace of mind as well.
That was back in Sept and I've been using it everyday since and it's running really well

Hi Dan and welcome - I recently brought mine from BMW Willsons Manchester (yet to be picked up) used and agree with what others say. For what I've got i think i paid the right price for it (no dealer premium) and got it serviced, 2 new tyres, 12 months tax, 12 months national motorrad warranty and 12 months emergency package and 12 months MOT. don't think id have got that from a non dealer.

if you can afford the time to wait and see what comes up, as hard as it may be, its worth the wait! luckily, mine came up within to weeks of making the decision to buy one.

as for the inherent problems of early models. i can't say for sure but when i was searching for what i wanted my budget was initially for an early one, 2010. while trawling the net for info i didn't find anything that pointed to common problems or failures; I hope this helps

Ant

Last edited:
That's really helpful, cheers. Most likely going to buy through motorrad for the piece of mind. Just need to sell the blade now!

Welcome mate.. I had an RR2 for 5 years then a sublime RR8 blade for 3 years.. the 8 was a peach of a machine...natural progression for you is the 1KRR... as the lads say you will not be dissapointed

Enjoy the forum.

Last edited:
Hi Dan, very much the same story as you plus a few other members. I also have a change of direction from blade to BMW. I still have 3 blades 09 x2 and 2014, but I bought a 2011 BMW, I got a good price on the deal, because the gear box had been changed after 4000 miles. There has been concerns with the early model bikes gear boxes. For that reason, check the mileage and service history. All told it's a totally awesome bike.

Latest posts

Back