New Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roads round he being pretty bumpy and with me being ~75kg without gear, I've got the preload front and rear right out to get the static sag virtually to spec. I ride in User mode mostly, with DDC set to Race, front damping -3, rear compression -2, rebound -3. I found I wasn't getting a great deal of feel from the front (original Metz K3) until I dropped the front tyre pressure down and damping level down a bit all round - felt like the front was sliding out at anything above about 33deg lean. Tweaks during a run up Hartside and back yesterday have improved that no end and now much bette. 2200 miles on the tyres though so they're about ready to get binned for a set of M7RR which I'll put on over winter.

Must be literally half a mile away - we're on the new estate off the main road through M.Moor.

Yeah I'm with the others, rain mode is bollox really, far too soft, I'd only ever use it in icy conditions.
All my S1000RR's are left in slick mode, traction turned off.

Enjoy ya new toy, I wouldn't ride anything else now (except my HP2Sport) they are brilliantly capable everyday sportsbikes:acne:

Thanks for your reply. I'll stick with rain, probably until next year. I'm determined to enjoy the thing to my maximum. I managed that with the GSXR, I want the same from the S1Thou

Hi, really, how did you even begin to understand how to make those changes? Impressed.

Hi, really, how did you even begin to understand how to make those changes? Impressed.
If that was to me, then it's just a bit of knowledge gained over the years, added to a whole load of trial and error, with a chunk of luck stirred in for good measure!

Hi, yes it was meant for you. I'm planning on setting it up this weekend. Do I still back off the front to soften the rear?

Hi, yes it was meant for you. I'm planning on setting it up this weekend. Do I still back off the front to soften the rear?

God knows, I wouldn't claim to fully understand the theory. Can only go on what works for me - and whilst I understand how springing and damping works, I wouldn't claim to be an expert. Get the sag right and the rest is at least quick and easy to change with the DDC. I guess it depends really on what you're looking for from the changes. I don't find the rear particularly harsh - my issue was front-end feel and the changes to the rear setting were just about trying to smooth out the choppiness of the ride on the ripply roads we have up here. Whether it's what the pros would recommend or not I have no idea - but it works for me :)

I'd make sure the sag's as near as possible spot on first, then maybe drop a bit from the tyre pressures (assuming you're running 36/42 as many do - I'm down to about 32/38) and see how you feel. Then perhaps concentrate on tweaks to front damping first to see what the feel is like (since there's only one damping adjustment it's easy to keep track of). If you're not getting what you want from that, then try the rear adjustments.

Don't forget though, any adjustments you make in one mode will not be applied to the others - so you'll need to change each riding mode independently. That's why I like User mode, as I can have the throttle, ABS, DTC as I like them and can basically stay in that mode all the time. I do use Rain mode when it's wet, but I found the setup fine in that mode for the riding I do in the wet - good enough for me to get caught speeding in the pissing rain near Oban back in July - not something I'd have felt confident doing unless the bike felt decent underneath me, and that was on pretty well-worn K3s)

Welcome from another GSXR fan / rider.

I've had a K4 & K7 750 in the past & still have a K8 750 as my track bike. The RR is a tad quicker :wink-new:

Hi Andy, may I ask you........do you feel that the S1Thou is actually like riding a racing machine? I loved my GSXR'S but this thing is on another level.

Hi, thanks for that detailed update. I'll attempt to set the sag today. I'll work it from there. Is is easy to use 'user mode'
Ian

Hi, thanks for that detailed update. I'll attempt to set the sag today. I'll work it from there. Is is easy to use 'user mode'
Ian

Dead easy - get the slick key in if it's not already (under rider's seat), setup User mode in the setup menu and select using the 'mode' button on the bars. It's all covered in detail in the manual including what the individual setting options mean for Race, Sport, and Rain that you can select in User mode.

Hi, me again. I tried setting the sag today, the front end was already fully backed off, the sag was only 3mm, the rear was between 15-18mm any any advice? I reduced rear damping and compression and increased front damping +2 any thoughts?

Hi, me again. I tried setting the sag today, the front end was already fully backed off, the sag was only 3mm, the rear was between 15-18mm any any advice? I reduced rear damping and compression and increased front damping +2 any thoughts?

It can be difficult to get the sag right - my front is fully out and I'm just about on the right measurement. How much do you weigh? If you're under about 75KG kitted up you'll find it hard to get the sag right. Also, I'm not sure if it's true but I've read somewhere to have the ignition on whilst setting up - I don't know whether it makes any difference but I had mine on when setting the sag.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm around 85-88kg. I'll keep tweaking and keep you informed. It's in the handbook about having the ignition on, only for the rear shock.
Is the S1Thou a big change compared to the other bikes?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm around 85-88kg. I'll keep tweaking and keep you informed. It's in the handbook about having the ignition on, only for the rear shock.
Is the S1Thou a big change compared to the other bikes?

It's certainly a lot faster than any of the others, except possibly the ZX7R which whilst in a straight line would be left for dead, on the twisties would be right there with the S1K thanks to its incredible front end feel.

It's not as comfortable as the RST or the VFR, but more comfortable than the GS for the first three hours. GS was a lot less 'effort' to ride. I never got on with the SV or the RST really - clearly I don't gel well with V-twins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back