New Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian07120

Reaction score
I've not ridden or owned for 6 years. I've just bought a (SH) S1000RR with all the bits. Previously riding Suzukis. My last bike was the famous GSXR 1000 K5

Hello and welcome. Great choice of bike. I had a number of GSXR750's through the years, then a KTM Superduke for a couple fo years and finally a GSXR1000K8 for 6 years before 'upgrading' to the Sthou. Enjoy.

Welcome in Ian

Supposedly BMW used the GSXR K5 as the basis for the S1000?
What colour scheme have you got?

Hi Ian..welcome along.... k5 ..Iconic machine, so what's it like climbing back on board after your (I presume) self imposed hiatus?

Last edited:
Hi, wife imposed 'hiatus' I believe you mean! Yeah its pretty good, a bit weird. I'm using rain mode ATM so I'm missing low down grunt (which the GSXR had in spades) each time I ride I discover a bit or a 'lot' more. The most significant difference is probably braking power, it really is amazing, the brakes allow you to ride faster with more confidence. I'd probably like to be able to 'understand' the setting up of the electronic suspension more?
Thank you for the reply.

......yeah, the 'salesman' told me that. I've the iconic (GSXR) B/W Do you ever get to Devils Bridge in Kirby?

hi, yeah they sound pretty inspiring bikes. I've followed the 'dirt bike route', riding most if not all modes (trials being my favourite) in 1991 I bought the GSXR1000L, absolute Monster, great with a pillion on board not so good on your own! Then GSXR750 pre water cooled, fast, smooth but old hat, then back onto dirt bikes, then the iconic GixerK51000, then my 6 year hiatus. I've been dreaming of the BMW since it's launch, finally picking up the courage to 'splash the cash' I must admint I wasn't sure at first........however I was out on Monday eveing (quiet roads) and I had a 'proper' blast! AMAZING, the harder I pushed the better it got! PS I'm riding it in 'Rain Mode' ATM

Welcome,

With the hot weather and warm tarmac, I recommend this as the time to play with SPORT, RACE and SLICK modes. I barely use RAIN even in the rain...as long as you respect the twist grip (and someone from a trials background should I'd expect). The throttle travel in RAIN is too soft IMO...by RACE mode it's more in tune with a rider pushing on.

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum :). Enjoy the new bike. Like has already been mentioned, rain mode is a bit steady away. I only use it if I am riding in the rain lol. Pop it into the sport mode and you will still get a lot of damping of the throttle input. Race is where the fun starts, I keep slick for trackdays. Suspension will get firmer as you go up the modes, but having the preload / sag set correctly is the key to a decent feel on the bike.

There are a few riders who get over to Devils Bridge from on here, including myself occasionally. I prefer riding up your way around Hexham, Kielder, Alston, etc. Quieter roads and better scenery.

favourite) in 1991 I bought the GSXR1000L, absolute Monster

Do you not mean 1100L I had two of them, my first one was knocked whilst in for its first service at North Harbour Ayr in 1991... I left it with them and they wheeled it outside...mech went to get it an hour later....gone.. theyd left the keys in it and some fucker blagged it from right outside the showroom.. 600 miles on the clock was a beaut 1st one with usd forks

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Believe it or not Keilder was my favourite run on my GSXR. I live closer to Durham now so I'm blitzing round on brand new (new to me) roads, it's bloody challenging. Once I'm more used to the bike I'll take it to Keilder.

Hi, oh shit, did you get full value back? Yeah, sorry 1100L red and black. Bullet proof but fudging scary, picking its own lines, sitting up for no reason. I had to jack up the rear shock and back off the front forks just to get it to turn! I also put a 120 on the front, which quickened up the steering! Happy days. Not. Mind you I sold it for more than I paid for it!

Latest posts

Back