New Bike Collected couple minor questions.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRCBLADE

Reaction score
Well last week was good and bad sadly thieves nicked my mint 2009 CBR1000RR on Tuesday in Wimbledon along with a friends bike as well. Then Saturday I picked up my Msport S1000RR + Hp wheels so that was nice apart from the weather being absolutely horrible and not being able to do many miles.

Bike looks awesome and already fitted the high tint screen, tank pad and an evotech tailtidy. As the paint I heard is rather thin do most peeps fit stomps, techspec or other grip pads to protect paint from scuffs etc with leathers?

Also thinking of ditching the 200 Supercorsa SP?s straight away and making my first proper ride straight to FWR to have some more road orientated rubber fitted. Sounds like most people here rave about M7RR Meztler. I have a dedicated track bike so wont be using the RR on track so think it better to go for a more dedicated road tyre.

I also noted the clutch pull was super stiff compared to other bikes I have had and having smallish hands ordered the HP adjustable levers. Guess I need to get used to using the blipper J

Scott

sorry to here about your theft mate , losing a bike and gaining a bike in a week ,unbelievable, hope the scum get what they deserve, tyre wise I am using sportsmart 2s but will be changing to m7rr as they come highly recommended on here, someone with a newer bike should be along to help with the other stuff.

cheers David

As for the paint, my bike is currently getting covered in XPEL paint protection film. It's like Ventureshield only it covers the entire panel rather than just the leading edges and it's also self healing. Here's a clip of it...

For the tyres I'd go for either the M7RR or the new Bridgestone S21 Evo, both come in a 200 rear section.

'kin 'ell it's rife in London. I do appreciate my 24/7 security guards... Hope the insurance payout is swift, or they catch them (LOL).

The clutch shouldn't be too tough but either way enjoy your blipping downshift. Tyre choice has been covered and looks like you're on the right track.

I used R&G EaziGrip but TechSpec is good stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your blade being nicked mate. I've had my Msport for a year now, its had venture shield from new and I've had no issues with paint wear on the sides of the tank. Re the clutch I've not found it an issue but you'll only be using it to start off / stop, the quickshifter and autoblipper make it more or less redundant once you're rolling. Just about to fit M7RR's to mine, the S20's I had fitted from new have been very good but the rears had it after 2400 miles

Thanks guys yeah the bike theft was gutting as just wont get back the true value and sentimental value of that bike, just so awful. But it was nice to replace the R1 that I did not get on with, with the RR. As I said not done any miles due to south england being a monsoon since saturday afternoon and now sitting at work with the sun shining :(

Definitely going to switch to the M7RR's, thanks for the ideas on grip pads and protection film will have a look and decide what to go for.

Apart from that only other thing I may change is for some adjustable rearsets in the future. The dealer fitted an Akra slip on as part of the sale.

On another note I will be doing my yearly 2000+ mile pilgrimage to Switzerland & Italy in May/June so ordered a hepco & becker sportrack to strap my kriega US20 to. I used one on the blade and it is fantastic.

Bring on summer!!!!

Thanks guys yeah the bike theft was gutting as just wont get back the true value and sentimental value of that bike, just so awful. But it was nice to replace the R1 that I did not get on with, with the RR. As I said not done any miles due to south england being a monsoon since saturday afternoon and now sitting at work with the sun shining :(

Definitely going to switch to the M7RR's, thanks for the ideas on grip pads and protection film will have a look and decide what to go for.

Apart from that only other thing I may change is for some adjustable rearsets in the future. The dealer fitted an Akra slip on as part of the sale.

On another note I will be doing my yearly 2000+ mile pilgrimage to Switzerland & Italy in May/June so ordered a hepco & becker sportrack to strap my kriega US20 to. I used one on the blade and it is fantastic.

Bring on summer!!!!

I feel your weather pain... I need to head to the leather shop in Kingston-u-T next Saturday, all being well, let me know if you're about putting some miles on the clocks.
(http://www.leather-repair-alterations.co.uk)

Was it the latest R1 you had?

Yip, I loved the looks but it was not awfully comfortable and felt rather narrow in comparison to Blade and ZX10R. Also not a fan of the crossplane crank motor. Also having it recalled and them taking the whole motor out and mauling about with it made me trade it before doing :)

I feel your weather pain... I need to head to the leather shop in Kingston-u-T next Saturday, all being well, let me know if you're about putting some miles on the clocks.
(http://www.leather-repair-alterations.co.uk)

That might be possible.... be good to get out on a ride with some new peeps. Only slight fly in the ointment would be if the missus manages to get an appointment with a kitchen designer in Haywards heath Sat morn :(

A number of us were jarred off that the fish & chip wrapping that goes by the name of MCN voted the R1 above the RR recently even though it was slower on track in their test and uncomfortable on the road. I haven't ridden one but it sounds like your experience confirms the bike press went OTT in their praise of it last year..

A number of us were jarred off that the fish & chip wrapping that goes by the name of MCN voted the R1 above the RR recently even though it was slower on track in their test and uncomfortable on the road. I haven't ridden one but it sounds like your experience confirms the bike press went OTT in their praise of it last year..

Dont get me wrong its a nice bike and some people may love the motor etc..... but as a real world riding bike for road it can't compete with the beemer. Its the same as the Aprilia RSV4 or Panigale being voted top of magazine bike shootouts .... complete bollocks, nice bikes but try riding day in day out or decent mileage on either of those .... LOL

TBH best road bike I ever had was the ZX10R 2012 .... LOVED IT! Wide bars, comfy seat, massive screen, decent power .... albeit something only an owner would love the looks of :) I do some trips where we ride from my house to Lauterbrunnnen in Switz in a day so 700ish miles and it ate it up ..... hoping the S1000RR will do the same with the bonus of cruise and warm hands !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries on that front, sounds like a pretty cool trip, love the Alps. Beemer roomier, comfier and warmer than the ZX10 - oh and faster :smile-new:

There's a comfort seat option if you want to be even better looked after. Adds 20mm of height.

Agreed zx10 my best ride to date

I was thinking back to the test ride I had on a ZX10 a few weeks ago, they do have exceptionally well tied down front ends and you're positioned right over the front wheel, in comparison you're sat a bit further back on the RR, which for me makes for a much roomier riding position, and the front end isn't quite as sharp. I bet that's why you're struggling to get to grips with it? You can get that front end dialled in better to suit you, I got my '13RR set up by 100% suspension at an FE track day, they got it sitting much more on its nose and it transformed the front end feel on track and road.

I've actually just been messaging Colin at 100% head at silver stone speaking about the subject . I'm off out tomor with my tools and spending a day setting up on my face roads I'm confident I will get what I'm looking for as I love the bike . But in fairness my zx 10 was far from standard wheels suspension ecu system all upgraded .

Well first decent ride on the bike today, amazingly good, racked up close on 200 miles getting used to it.

Couple of impressions, gearbox was great so much better than the 2010 model i had 4 or so years ago. Need to get used to using the blipper though. Very comfortable bike and engine feels so strong even while being restricted before 1st service. Soundtrack from the Akra slip on is just brilliant. Loved the M7RR tyres worked flawlessly.

Only things I am going to do are ......Definitely need some grip pads to stop sliding forward on the tank, so will order some tech specs Monday. Also stock pegs are quite slippy and would like to play about with positions so might look into getting some HP rear sets.

Other than that just get the miles in :)

Well first decent ride on the bike today, amazingly good, racked up close on 200 miles getting used to it.

Couple of impressions, gearbox was great so much better than the 2010 model i had 4 or so years ago. Need to get used to using the blipper though. Very comfortable bike and engine feels so strong even while being restricted before 1st service. Soundtrack from the Akra slip on is just brilliant. Loved the M7RR tyres worked flawlessly.

Only things I am going to do are ......Definitely need some grip pads to stop sliding forward on the tank, so will order some tech specs Monday. Also stock pegs are quite slippy and would like to play about with positions so might look into getting some HP rear sets.

Other than that just get the miles in :)
Hey glad to hear you're getting used to the bike....i'm still grinning 8k miles in :) .....i went for M7RRs stompgrip and Gilles replacement pegs.....no complaints at all....those stock pegs are dangerously slippy in the wet!! ....i'd defo get those replaced before you go off touring! I was happy with the peg positioning so didn't go for HP rearsets...the Gilles pegs are only ?30 each here: http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com...-15-/2015/categories/footrests-and-handlebars ...one more thing i'd say is don't be too light footed with the blipper.....i was getting a few scary false neutrals going in to corners but then realised it was my rider error .....works much better with a heavy foot! ;) ...enjoy!! ;)

Back